Mentally and physically?
Post a reply

My biggest fear came true yesterday. I'm untreatable.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 am

I went to my doctors appointment yesterday about my Nocturnal Enuresis. I was hoping it was something I can fix, that I won't have to deal with it forever, but after the doctor Diagnosed me with Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis, he told me that the best thing I can do is to drink more earlier in the day and less at night. He also said it won't FIX the problem but it may make it better. So, basically, nothing can be done. I tried that before I even scheduled the appointment and the frequency of the accidents never changed. I asked about an Anti-Diuretic but he said that it's probably not a good idea to put me on one, and he gave me a reason but I don't remember it off the top of my head. So, basically, I'm stuck. I may have to deal with this permanently.

I'm going to talk to my therapist about this. I was afraid this was going to be the result. Since my diagnosis, I felt like I've been carrying 3 full grown bodybuilders on my back while running up a steep mountain, trying to keep up with a running cheetah.

Does anybody have tips on how to deal with this for now? Because I don't currently have a therapist and it may be a while before I get one. Thanks a bunch.

Re: My biggest fear came true yesterday. I'm untreatable.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

You said your doctor "basically said" nothing could be done? Well I say basically your doctors an idiot. If he really was doing his job he would be ordering test and procedures to get as much information as possible and if still nothing he should refer you to someone else that can do more. Without knowing what test you have gone through already and how long you have been getting treatment it hard for me or anyone here to shed light on your situation. My first impulse is to say you are stressing yourself out way too much and this may have a hand if not the cause of your problem.
If you already have a therapist you trust and have a connection with, I would say stick with them. If not, I would say find a therapist with a medical background or experience that can relate better.

Good luck and try to let go of some of that stress. Its not good for you in more ways then just a wet bed.

Rope

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

I agree with Rope and I'm going to add you might want to find another doctor for a second opinion. Doctors bring with them their own personal feelings on treatment options. Some like testing and some don't. Some like to prescribe medication like it's candy and some like the holistic approach and only prescribe when absolutely needed. Every so often you may actually run into someone with a god complex who believes they are never wrong. It is your body and your health and you have the right to find another doctor. One of my major complaints about the medical profession is that they rarely realize that they are in a customer service business and the customer can choose where to bring their business.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am

I'm going to schedule a followup.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Adult-onset enuresis (as opposed to enuresis that persists from childhood) is fairly often a symptom of some more serious underlying disease. If your doctor has not already done so, you need a very thorough medical check-up to rule out things like diabetes and serious bladder and prostate problems that need urgent attention. The condition can also be a side effect of certain drugs used to treat psychiatric conditions.

Unless and until the enuresis stops, you need to find an effective way manage your bedwetting in order to keep your bed and anyone who shares it with you dry and to enable you to get a good night's sleep. This and similar web sites are a good source of information about the best diapers and other devices that can achieve those results.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you. Don't give up hope.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Alright. I've finished scheduling the followup. It's next Friday, and this time, I'm going to go in there strict and determined. I'm going to make sure that I get tested for anything that could possibly be wrong, and I will request to see a urologist if necessary and I won't stop with the appointments until I get some answers. I want to make sure it isn't a result of a deeper problem. If I have to get defensive(verbally), I will. From now on, I'm in charge. I'm THEIR boss and if I have to choose a different doctor, I will. I'm done being the wuss!

Okay, I'm finished rambling.

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it went, and what treatment method (if any) I have been told to use.
Last edited by ianhulett on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

ian,
Add my concern and best wishes to those above. My incontinence was adult onset, and it did signal a much deeper problem. If, despite having a thorough medical workup you still have not regained control, and if this promises to be a long-term situation, you might consider exploring washables and waterproof pants for nightwear. Although the initial cost of washables is steep, they soon pay off in reduced expense over the years. Welcome. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I forgot something.

I'm 20 years old right now. Can you tell me the common issues at my age that I should have looked at?

For example, at my age, do I need to worry about an enlarged prostate, or is that later in life? Also, any other things you'd recommend I get tested for?

And finally, I've heard that Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis can be caused by a stressful event or some sort of anxiety that happened as well as other serious medical things.

A little under 5 years ago, I was involved an intentional house fire that killed four out of my five cats. The people downstairs were fighting over a baby, the wife and baby were taken away from him, he got mad and set the house on fire during the night. I was asleep when this was occurring and when my mother woke me up to evacuate, I tried to rescue all of my cats, and finally I gave up because I couldn't find any of them. I left with everybody else and the hallway was filled with smoke.

The house fire, and the bed wetting seem to correspond to each other very well. I remember I began wetting the bed during either my freshman, or sophomore year of High School, under a year after the incident. I remember, (and I'm sure about this) before the house fire, I have never wet the bed. I've been dry from age 5 all the way to the house fire.

But still, the timing is a little too perfect. Is it possible that the stress from the house fire is still hurting me subconsciously despite not crying over it as much? Could that be a possible cause of my Incontinence? Thanks.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:16 pm

At this point, just about anything is possible ianhulett, from the fire incident to stress to something prostate related, who knows. One thing for sure, General doctors know nothing or VERY little in regards to bladder dysfunction, a Urologist is the route to go, and if he never referred you to one, then I would be looking for a new doc, no questions asked, a referral is a given in your case, not :there is nothing we can do"... NOT acceptable for an answer! :shock: Good luck, stay positive, (I like the attitude change already!) and let us know what happens in the follow-up appt.! 8) Puffy

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:03 am

I'm going to go the other way from the others on this, and suggest that your Dr. may well be correct, at least in so much add that there may not be an organic cause treatable with allopathic medicine. I started wetting the bed again a few years ago (I'm in my early 30's), and I've talked to a couple Dr.'s about it. Aside from declining some of the more invasive test, I, as well as my current GP, have decided that if there were a treatable underlying cause I would have other symptoms associated as well. As I have no apparent retention, no daytime continence issues, no signs of diabetes, etc., we just stopped looking.

I liken this to my hypertension. I've been hypertensive since I was a teenager. I've had a battery of tests over the years, all inconclusive. I've tried a variety of dietary changes, none of which worked. My doctor diagnosed me with essential hypertension, ie there is no point source to treat. It's just part of my physiology. I just take the drugs now to control it. There isn't always a medical treatment for all problems.

Something you may want to look into is sleep apnea, which is known to trigger bedwetting in some people with otherwise no incontinence problems. If you haven't had a sleep study, ask for one. Other than that, almost all organic causes for bedwetting are associated with other symptoms. I would add that bedwetting, especially secondary enuresis, is known to be psychogenic and/or stressed induced. Given your history, I would recommend you seek a referral for psychological counseling, with someone experienced treating PTSD or trauma.
Post a reply