www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 am 

Hello friends,

One thing i notice for sure is that as i drink water to combat the heat and dehydration, my incontinence seems to be much more heavy, both in the amount of episodes that occur and the amount I void. I mean, its obvious that the more you drink, hte more you pee, but im my case its the more i drink, the more i pee involuntarily. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you not make it to the toilet as often when youre drinking extra water during the summer? Or for some, do you still retian control at times even if your fluid intake increases?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 am 

yes, and I wondered if I as one of the only one. especially water, if I drink a lot it comes out of me in much more frequent episodes and with a lot of urgency. Given I have migraines and severe headaches when dehydrated I often feel between a rock and a hard place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm 
Admin

I think it is a fine balancing act for all or us to get enough fluids in, without going overboard and having worse leaks then before. When I am at home, I drink a LOT more, but it backfires when you get a call and need to go out, so I am kinda guarded during the day for that to happen. When out, I am a sipper, just enough to avoid the dehydration headaches I also suffer from, they are on the verge of a migraine! Not fun!

I think one of the best topics on here was written by Kendall - Diapers or Dehydration" Gives you the reassurance you are not alone in the struggle of fluid management! 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:10 pm 

I guess I may be in a unique position then most here because I tend to drink a lot of water all the time. Because of my condition, if the urine is not watered down and clear, I have a lot of bladder pain and discomfort. I have a good schedule of when to change and how far a diaper will get me that it is not too big of an issue. Now, when it is hot out side and I am exerting myself, I will try to drink even more because I will be sweating off my fluids and then my pee will get darker and more concentrated. When that happens, I have more pain.
As fare as leaks or ffloods, I don't really have flooding any more. Again because of my condition my bladder can not hold much and I tend to leak and dribble all the time. Good thing about this is I always have plenty of time for my diaper to soak and wick things away..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:16 am 

Puffy Pants wrote:
I think it is a fine balancing act for all or us to get enough fluids in, without going overboard and having worse leaks then before. When I am at home, I drink a LOT more, but it backfires when you get a call and need to go out, so I am kinda guarded during the day for that to happen. When out, I am a sipper, just enough to avoid the dehydration headaches I also suffer from, they are on the verge of a migraine! Not fun!

I think one of the best topics on here was written by Kendall - Diapers or Dehydration" Gives you the reassurance you are not alone in the struggle of fluid management! 8) Puffy

Could you please link to the article "Kendall - Diapers or Dehydration", I can't find it....

I find, that if I don't drink enough I get terrible headaches, however drinking more to avoid headaches, means my frequency goes way up. It's a fine balance though. However I prefer avoiding the headaches, and then deal with the other.

Although the medical professionals only recommend your fluid intake to be around 2 liters per day, I find that to be in the lower end, so I actually drink more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am 

I hear you, Rope and NTAM.

I too get terrible migraines. To avoid this I have to drink a LOT. 2 Liters alone will not do. This could be because I am borderline diabetic, but I just think incontinence is the least of the three evils...
Evil 1 - Needing to change my diaper more often

Evil 2 - Drink very little, get migraines and lose any semblance of productivity as I wince into my pillow, throw up and generally hope for the sweet embrace of darkness so I can stop suffering...

Evil 3 - Drink little, take copious amounts of Advil. My doctor recommended I take 4 pills when I start to get a migraine... That's the daily max, and sometimes that is not enough. The numbers of my last blood test for my liver were NOT good, so I need to try and stay away from those pills unless absolutely necessary. (This is another reason why I fear OAB drugs).

Given my options there I try to drink a lot lest I suffer the consequences...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm 
Admin

[/quote]Could you please link to the article "Kendall - Diapers or Dehydration", I can't find it....[/quote]

Here it is NTAM - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=618#p4663

Another I started on drinking 8 Glasses of H2o a day - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=758&hilit=8+glasses :) Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:44 pm 

Just from personal experience, I try to stay hydrated.

I would rather use three diapers a day than get diaper rash. To keep from flooding and leaking all over I have basically just let myself go any time I feel the need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:09 pm 

I adamantly REFUSE TO LET MY INCONTINENCE AFFECT MY LIFE AND MY HEALTH any more than it already does. I too (as do several of you above) drink a lot of liquid .. AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM OF one to two (1 to 2) litres of liquid each and every day. I drink a combination of (1) Ensure drink from Abbott Laboratories in Columbus Ohio and commonly available ALMOST EVERYWHERE .. (2) Lemon-Lime Gatorade .. and (3) water. OH YES .. IF I DO NOT drink this amount of liquid .. I MOST CERTAINLY DO NOTICE a decrease in my urinary output. Well so-be-it. I am not willing to still have incontinence (by drinking less liquid only the degree of urinary output changes but it still is involuntary) and have dark yellow urine output because I have not had enough liquid. THAT affects one's bladder and one's skin. I DO NOT drink much else in terms of liquid. NO coffee .. NO tea .. NO alcohol .. many beverages are NOT good for the urinary tract nor for incontinence. Best To You All ..