www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vesicare??
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:32 pm 

So I have been taking Vesicare since April 28 for what my now former urologist thought was OAB. I have an appointment with a new urologist but that's not until 6-2 so its a few weeks out. The Vesicare has helped the symptoms at night, as I sleep pretty much through the night without having to get up. But during the day I am still going 12-14 times in a 24 hour period. Down from 15-18 times though. Has anybody else had results like this with this medication??? I am still having leaks and spotting and so I have resorted to wearing various forms of protection. I can get away with pads and pull ups but have found to be regular diapers to be the most convenient, though admittedly a little bit overkill...I'd really rather be over protected than under protected, though....

Post subject: Re: Vesicare??
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:12 pm 

Your next urologist needs to hear this. If Vesicare does not work well enough to permit you to use normal underwear, is it worth the expense and the threat posed by side-effects? Only you and your doctor can answer this. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:35 pm 

Thank You, Patrick.....anybody else have experience similar or otherwise with this medication??

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm 

From what I have read, that is not out of line with the norm for urge drug treatments. The average seems to be cutting down everything by a 1/3 (when it works), so if you were going 15 times, you will probably be going 10 times. If you had 3 accidents a day you will probably have 1-2 accidents a day. Combined with behavioral therapy (Kegels) and bladder training, that could rise from 1/3 to 2/3 reduction in symptoms.

It seems to relate to the base symptoms. Worse symptoms will have less of an affect than those with minimal. After all, 24 down to 16 does not feel like great progress, and 3-6 accidents to 1-3 will also make one feel :evil: Sometimes it can feel like a crap-shoot with the statistics and hoping you fall into the good ones.

Hopefully your new urologist will either be able to adjust the dosage, try you on one of the 7 different drugs of that family, recommend surgery, or give you more information as to the cause of your symptoms. As Patrick also stated, you need to write down your reactions and also some of your other questions to get the max out of each visit.

I agree with Patrick, though. The side affects and inability to 100% move to regular underwear would make me question the value of the drugs in your situation. I hope you gain the insight and help you need.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 pm 

Thanks Guys, Boy, this OAB or whatever it is really kicked up yesterday afternoon/last night.....I felt like I couldn't leave the toilet.....I had to go 1-2 times every hour......up until bed time.....I was able to fall asleep and I was up once in the night at about 0300.....Today more of the same....I have been keeping track of the number of times I go in a day and for the last 4 days I have averaged 15 times. Which is no improvement over the problems I had before starting the meds. That tells me that the med isn't doing much if anything at all. I usually have small accidents every time I use the bathroom. Sometimes its a small leak and sometimes a little bit larger leak.....usually a pad or a pull up is sufficient but I frequently just wear a diaper to be sure I wont be wet. over protected is better than under protected....This has been a rough couple days and I am back to work tomorrow so.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 pm 

PB&J

Just a heads up but normally they only start you out with the full dose. When they started me out, I was put on 5mg. That helped only a little so I was uped to 10mg. If you are using the 5mg dose, call and see if you can double up. It may help.

Rope

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am 

Yeah, I am only taking the 5mg dose right now....I have another 2 weeks to go until I go see the new urologist. My only concern is the side effect, namely the constipation.....man, I hate being constipated!!! I am going to call the new urologist's office today and see if I can be put on a cancellation list, perhaps I can get in there sooner.....I am right back to where I was before I started this medication. 14-16 times per day and all the leaks/small accidents that go along with going that many times.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:48 am 
Admin

I was offered to be put on the meds to try, but declined as the side effects or even the possibilities of them, along with just plain dislike being on meds in general, wasn't worth it for me, I get along just fine at this point in time, until I say otherwise, my doc knows where I am coming from and never pushed the subject with me, I like that, I feel heard when I talk to him anyhow (rare for a doc), Puffy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:30 am 

I tried Vesicare too but the constipation was dreadful. I worked up to the 10mg does and .... well..... I just couldn't go at all. the doctor gave me stuff to get things moving but by then it seemed something of a waste of time. I suppose some people benefit from the drug but I haven't heard of one so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:19 pm 

I'm thinking about just upping the dose on my own.....I can't get in to see the new uro until early June, I called to see if I could get n early but they have nothing that works with my work schedule.......the frequency is getting bad.......but I'm scared to death to have issues with constipation....