www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:34 pm 

Onsie style undershirts are great for guaranteeing your diaper won't accidently stick out of your pants if you bend over or for some other reason. The problem is they are so expensive. Xp-medical charges almost $30 for one, and you can't find them for much cheaper elsewhere, not to mention shipping charges.
Recently I got the idea of an economical alternative from kid's pajamas. They have snaps to keep the top and bottom together and this should work for us as well. You can put snaps on underwear to keep a brief, or whatever you like best, and undershirt together.
Start with the bottom piece. Stretch the elastic out and put in put in snaps. Then put it on over your diaper and tuck in your undershirt. You can feel the snap and bend over the elastic a little to mark the undershirt with a magic marker for the place of the other part of the snap.
It makes sense to put more snaps in the back since it is most vulnerable to expose your diaper. I recommend not putting any snaps on the sides.
This should give you almost all the advantages of an onsie. The only one it doesn't give is the ability to simply pick it up while changing, but this is a small price to pay for the money you save. It is less comfortable to change with underwear lowered between your legs, but many people use briefs or plastic pants and do this any way. Besides if you change without taking off your pants it shouldn't make much difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 am 

The only thing I would be concerned with is the stretchiness of the underwear causing some issues with the snaps?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 am 

These work very, very well. Less restrictive & about $21.00 http://www.medicalsuspenders.com/plasti ... r-ups.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm 

I forgot to write that you should use snaps the same color as your underwear, so in case it gets exposed they won't be noticable.
Most colored snaps are plastic which I wouldn't try since I don't know if they are strong enough, but I have found white metal snaps on Amazon. I'm sure sewing supply stores ore specialty sites have even a bigger selection of colored metal snaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:38 pm 

I wear an onsie at night as this holds my diaper snugly in place. I appreciate this might sould a bit strange you could always wear a leotard. I purchased one at a charity shop in the UK the only downside is the lack of fixing between the legs. I am not good at customising clothes however if you or a friend is good with a needle and thread it might be possible to find discreet popers on the net to add in the crotch to allow for changes without taking the leotard off. I took the view that if male athletes and dancers wear leotards then so could I.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm 

Anyone ever though of some sort of cloth "flap" with snaps and matching snaps on a shirt? You snap the flap to the back of the shirt, pull it between your legs and snap it to the front of the shirt... An attempt to make a shirt work like a onesie...
Just tossing that out there...

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am 

I experimented more over the years. I found there are plastic snaps which hold up. I got clear plastic snaps, which are good for any colored material, and they never opened even once.
I started fixing the snaps on the the elastic, since that is the way the make kids PJs. But my wife tried sewing the snaps under the elastic, and works just as well.
I look into buying real onseis from time to time. But every time I see the price, compared to what I am paying, I don't see why anyone buys them.
I see some more tips were given here.