www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 am 

I have some questions about Self Catheterization. I know from my reading here that some of you do that and I am looking for your expertise on the subject. So, here it goes.

1. Does it hurt?
2. How do you know you are doing it right? Were you taught by someone how to do it right?
3. Where do you get your supplies? Prescription, medical supply?
4. How do you know what cath to get? Again, prescription, doctor's recommendation?

That is about it for now. I am sure I will have more questions depending on the responses I get.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am 

OK, I've just started this so....

1. Due to MS I have not feeling below the waist so I don't know if it hurts. (sorry!)

2. I was shown properly and it is easy to do using the catheters I use,

3.The nurse who taught me set up and order with Coloplast's sister company, Charter medical and I just have to ring them and they get a prescription from the GP and sends the product out.

4. Speedicath Compact Male suggested by the nurse and works very well.

Let me know if you want any more help - I think I am the only one using these here.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm 

Hi msshendo

I self cathed for two years and had great success with it.
I have a neuropathy that caused a flaccid Bladder with sever retention.

1. Like wheels5894 I have little feeling but the little I do have I would have to say it does not hurt.
2. When you are told to self cath the urologist or his nurse will show you how and make sure you are doing it right.
3. In my case my urologist set me up with a medical supplier ho would send me my monthly catheters. The supplier I had would call me just before your supplies are due to make sure you are still want them
4. The urologist will tell you what you need but you do have the right to suggest what you want. The Speedicat is a very simple easy to use all in one package. The catheter I used was contained in a bag pre liberated you never touched the catheter. When the urine came out it was caught in the bag. You can empty it through everything away no mess no fuss.

Now for some problems I had.
The first urologist I went to just gave me 4 red rubber catheters and a tube of lube this was my month of supply. I was to wash the catheters out and reuse them. If this happens say know Medicare and most insurances will pay for up to 200 catheters a month. I got infections after infections I was never without one. I was told that goes along with cathing.
I changed urologist the new urologist set me up with 800 Medical and I got 200
self-catheters in a serial package every month.

I still continued to get infections but now off and on.
My urologist wanted me to cath 8 times a day and night it was awful cathing so much especially getting up at night.
With my neuropathy getting worse and needing to cath so much it was decided I use a Foley catheter.
For the first year I had infections but I changed to a different Foley catheter that had an antibiotic silver coating and I have been infection free now for close to three years.
I since changed to another manufacture this catheter this Foley is much more comfortable. and dose less damage.

I find the Foley to be very comfortable and the most convenient way to handle the problem of incontinence I used yet.
It is easy to hide under clothing.

Good luck let us know how you make out if you want more info let me know.

2lyle