www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am 

Hello to all,

I and fecal incontinent and may be the only one here who self-adminsters traditional (not Fleets) bag enemas as a preventative to clear out the colon to avoid later fecal accidents. Every morning I take a soapsuds and saline enema followed by a saline rinse, with the full approval of my doctors. I also have been to a specialty clinic at a major teaching hospital and received their blessing as it was the best non-surgical option they could offer. Most patients are hostile to the idea.

The enemas are extremely effective for the purpose. Although many find the procedure to be unpleasant, that must be balanced against the unpleasantness of changing messy diapers and the humiliation of soiling oneself with a bowel accident when in a social situation.

I like the effectiveness (it always works), the convenience (I choose the time), and the degree of control which enemas have restored over my incontinence. I usually get a predictable 12 hours during which I can go about my life with confidence that I will not have an accident. There also is the emotional factor - a significant reduction over anxiety about bowel accidents in public.

There may be an age factor in this. I experienced routine enemas while growing up and am old enough to recall when the hooks on the back of bathroom doors in many homes held an enema bag while drying. Accordingly I am not so hostile to the concept as are many of the younger generation

--JD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 pm 

I can't see how this is a bad idea. If it works and doesn't cause any other problems it has to be the way forward. Oddly, Coloplast makes a suitable kit for doing this, the Persiteen system. I have even wondered about trying it myself as I can't tame my bowel either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:12 pm 

The Coloplast Peristeen has a good reputation. It is designed for use by someone who may be manually impaired and may have difficulty holding in the enema solution or keeping the nozzle in place. All of the ads show the recipient sitting on a toilet.

The system uses a nozzle with a cuff which self-inflates with water after being inserted. The inflated cuff forms a seal with the anus to hold in the liquid. A hand pump is used to pump in the solution. The user does not have to strain to hold in the enema. After the enema and holding are complete, the user de-inflates the cuff and expels the enema.

I believe the capacity is 1 1/2 liters (quarts).

The system does not require being hung from the wall or shower. Because of the hand pump, it can be placed on the side of the sink, the back of the toilet, or on the floor.

The total cost will not be inexpensive as the inflatable nozzles are for single use only and are to be replaced each time.

A prescription is required as well as an orientation. Most insurance will cover it.

Any traditional-style enema, traditional bag system or Peristeen will be less harsh on the body than the chemical Fleets'. This is particularly important for anyone who for medical reasons must take frequent enemas. All of my research can be simplified into three things: 1) safety, 2) comfort, and 3 effectiveness. The Peristeen system meets those requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 pm 

I have gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) and a partially paralyzed colon/rectum. My gastroenterologist wants me to begin using Dulcolax (bisacodyl) suppositories plus enemas to avoid bowel impaction. This is easy enough when I'm at home, but it is impossible when I must travel. The problem for me is that the diet for gastroparesis is bland, low fiber, but the diet for neurogenic bowel is high fiber. I welcome any advice I can get from folks who have dealt with this longer than I have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm 

Patrick,

I am double incontinent with severe chronic constipation, so I can understand much of what you have to deal with. I also use bisacodyl suppositories when I am unable to go through my usual enema procedure.

Travel with the need to take enemas is difficult and requires more planning and preparation, but can be done. I self-administered my traditional bag enemas during 34 days of travel, with time on the ground in Istanbul, Turkey, and then a lengthy cruise. Once my morning "procedure" was over, I went about my daily activities.

When I travel, my enema gear is with me in my carry-on bag as it is too medically important to risk losing. For emergencies, my wife carries a bulb syringe in her luggage in case anything happens to the bag. I do have a letter from my doctor intended more for foreign custom's inspections than the TSA. I never have had a problem.

The greater problem when traveling is being able to hang the bag from a variety of fixtures and heights. I carry an S-hook, short bungee cord, and about two feet of plastic chain. I use the links in the chain to be able to adjust the precise height of the bag that I need.

Due to my lack of sphincter control, I avoid taking enemas while seated on the toilet. rTo contain any "leaks," or even worse, I usually try to administer the enemas in a shower or bath-tub. If there is too little space to lie down, I will use a knee-chest "bottom up in the air" position. During a cruise, my bottom was in the shower while my head and chest were outside the shower on a towel.

Another potential problem is the quality of the water. My rule is never to put up my bottom any water that I would not drink. Remember, liquids absorbed directly via the colon bypass the digestive system and the liver and go directly into the blood stream. Be sure of the water supply, else you will have the hassle of bringing in enough bottled water.

If you want to do it, you can do it. Let's continue this dialog.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 pm 

JD,

Thanks for your reply. That cruise must have been a real challenge for you. I spent an hour with my physical therapist today. She thought that I might not need the suppository/enema treatment yet, if I learn to do colon massage correctly. I'll need it eventually, but colon massage might give me another year or two until the suppository/enema treatment becomes necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:00 am 

Patrick,

Good luck with the colon massage. If it does not work out well, give me another message and we can continue the discussionl

--John