www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:16 am 

Well, time for an update on my problems, I suppose.

The retention I have, and the usual reluctance of the bladder to empty at all unless it is very full/. I ended up with the urologist ruling out anything to try and get it flowing again properly as, he said, it doesn't usually work. So I am am doing intermittent catheterisation 4 times a day and staying dry all day - a boon as I don't have sensation 'down there' due to MS. However night time is another thing altogether.

I have been trying drugs to attempt to stay dry overnight - I'm on Vesicare 10mg daily for this but,really, it only gives me a dry mouth. I still leak overnight unless I don't drink anything after 1800hrs and then I can't sleep as I'm thirsty! Of course the bowels are well blocked up as well due to the drug. What with taking things to get the bowels going, I have replaced my sheath (external catheter) and drainage bag with a nappy (diaper) - actually a Tena Slip Maxi - and this now manages the overnight leaks and any possible bowel output too.

I'm thinking of dropping the Vesicare as it really isn't helping and seeing how things go without it. I'll probably be wetter at night but at least the bowels will work better! I've a doctor's appointment on Monday so I'll see what he says....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 am 

Well I saw my doctor yesterday and with nothing much else I can do I am at least reducing the Vesicare to 5 mg a day. I've actually stopped taking it for a few days to see how it affects me and I certainly am not as thirsty as I was. I'll have to wait to see how bowels and bladder react to not having Vesicare slowing down their functions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:44 pm 

wheels5894

At the moment I am off all the bladder medications except Ditropan 5ml twice a day. Because I use a Foley catheter I also take Ciprofloxacin HCL 250ml for three days after catheter change.

I also have a lot of problems with constipation. I try and not use laxatives and if I get constipated I eat more fruit but if that fails then laxatives I don’t like this up and down.
I can go for months without much constipation then it hits and I can go months with constipated.
I have never found anything to keep me stable sooner or later constipation hits.

My neurologist says he believes my constipation and bladder retention is a direct cause on my neuropathy. This has been substantiated by a CMG EMG Urology Test.

But I am on a lot of heart medications and stomach medications heavy pain meds one being Fentanyl.
I still have sever dry mouth and it is destroying my Esophagus the half is burned and nothing buy scar tissue. Dry mouth is a serious problem and can cause even bigger problems.

Would it be nice to just be normal again?

2lyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 am 

Doesn't sound if you are having a great time either, Lyle. Those medications sound nasty. I've now been off the Vesicare for three days now and I can tell with the leakage. I'm juts hoping that it will get the bowel going. I've got some fibre stuff to take to help this out. Figs didn't work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am 

Wheels

Like you trying to keep the bowel moving but not out of control.
I use to use a prescription laxative Lactulose for several years. At the time I thought this was it bowel problems solve. Well I was away from home and everything let !@!@.
Sense I got the bowel back under control but I am using fruit and lots of it. It helps but not perfect and I don’t know how long it will keep working.

Most medications cause their own problems the trick is to keep a head of them. Fentanyl is a heavy pain killer, and yes it helps. The problem is don’t forget to take it, the with bowels are out of this world.

I probably would still be self cathing but my hands were given me fits and because I was feeling well I would skip time to cath. Also when traveling it is hard cathing in a public restroom well that causes all kinds of wetting. Talking to my doctor it was decided to go with a Foley catheter for a while. Well a while turned into years and now I am told it may be for life I am told I am doing very well on it.

I don’t find a Foley catheter to be uncomfortable in fact the opposite I don’t know it even there.

At least we keep going that wonderful
Health

2lyle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:15 am 

I had my urinary sphincterotomy in August, 1999. It ended years of intense bladder pain, at the cost of complete loss of bladder control. More recently, the neurological problem which gave me so much bladder grief has begun to affect my GI system. I have developed gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) and neurogenic bowel. I manage the gastroparesis with ranitidine and erythromycin; the neurogenic bowel is more difficult to manage. I am just beginning to learn how to control it. My gastroenterologist wants me to begin Dulcolax suppositories and enemas, to control the blockage/diarrhea cycle, but my wife likes to travel, which eliminates that technique. I welcome any and all advice from the folks here.