www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: diaper covers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:00 am 

I have been using the Gary PUL pants along with the Gary plastic pants for the last year. They will definitely reduce leaks from disposable diapers. As a diaper begins to reach capacity it will tend to weep into anything that is absorbent. The PUL and plastic pants stop this from happening because they are not absorbent. They won't increase the diaper's capacity but they will stop the weeping for a period of time and keep bedding and clothing dry. Any diaper pant combination will eventually leak. However, we should be changing well before this happens. The other thing to remember about disposable diapers is that they tend to reach capacity by zone and weeping can occur well before the diaper has reached total capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the help to everyone who replied.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:30 am 

happilyretired2 wrote:
I have been using the Gary PUL pants along with the Gary plastic pants for the last year. They will definitely reduce leaks from disposable diapers. As a diaper begins to reach capacity it will tend to weep into anything that is absorbent. The PUL and plastic pants stop this from happening because they are not absorbent. They won't increase the diaper's capacity but they will stop the weeping for a period of time and keep bedding and clothing dry. Any diaper pant combination will eventually leak. However, we should be changing well before this happens. The other thing to remember about disposable diapers is that they tend to reach capacity by zone and weeping can occur well before the diaper has reached total capacity.

that has been my experience with the gary as well. as I prefer the cloth backed disposables the garywear also helps contain odors if you cannot change quickly. but if you overuse a disposable nothing in the pul line will help with that problem .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:41 am 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
happilyretired2 wrote:

that has been my experience with the gary as well. as I prefer the cloth backed disposables the garywear also helps contain odors if you cannot change quickly. but if you overuse a disposable nothing in the pul line will help with that problem .

Thanks for your help. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 am 

Ellyn wrote:
My two cents...

For me, the more cloth I can wear without it becoming noticeable, the better. I can go longer between changes and am MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE in the hot humid Texas heat!!! That usually means double diapers (under a skirt, which most people nearly always see me in) or a single with a well placed cloth booster.

Ellyn, what thickness prefolds do you use? I've got hold of some night rated prefolds from Rearz and Leakmaster and can't imagine being able to double those up during the day and not be noticeable in them; they're just too thick - it's difficult to make plastic pants cover it all. The Rearz are 4/10/4 and the Leakmaster are 4 layers of birdseye with two extra layers of terry in the middle section.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:26 am 

The number of thicknesses a cloth diaper will require to offer maximum absorbency will vary. Every time a cloth diaper is washed, and, especially if it is dried in the dryer, it will lose some material. Eventually this loss becomes significant enough to require additional layers. Currently I wear a single layer (night weight, ACD) during the daytime, and a double layer plus a pad at night, where only a single layer night weight was required when they were new.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:27 am 

To understand how I get away wearing two diapers, usually night weight, you’d need to see me and understand that I’m not new to incontinence. I’ve had to deal with incontinence and diapers for most of my life so I have diapers that are quite new and old. I’ve also become somewhat of a master at concealing noise and bulk. By the way, I’ve been wearing urethane pants a lot now so you have to be very good at concealing noise, compared to PUL. If it’s a newer diaper, sometimes I wear one. If I’m outside a lot in the heat, almost always two. If I’m going out to a store or such in public, generally one or disposable, with or without a booster, depending on my leakage that day.
I usually use two size medium cloth diapers around the house and on our property where exposure to people I don’t know are unlikely. One diaper generally isn’t enough as it will become very uncomfortable pretty quickly due to heavy leakage and perspiration.
With washings, diapers lose some of the thickness but on the positive side, they become very comfortable and form fitting (less bulges), like a favorite pair of jeans.
New diapers, up to a year old- nighttime use as they are the most bulky and absorbent.
Well used diapers (1-3 yrs old)- daytime use. One isn’t enough, but doubling works best for me.
Older diapers- booster or my husband takes them to the shop when they reach an unrespectable state...
Now a little about me... I’m slightly more than 5 feet tall and pretty disproportionate in that my top is quite large, a slender waist, wide hips but a very small backside.... My thighs are also quite slender so there’s room for bulk between my legs and my walk is very normal. The bulk from diapers on my butt actually makes me appear more proportional (normal...) when I wear a fuller skirt.
I’m almost always in a dress so people are used to seeing me that way. When I wear jeans, shorts, or slacks, I’m usually in a single cloth or disposable diaper with a shirt that usually covers my backside. Proper sizing and style is very important for concealment.
At home, I usually don’t wear a compression panty to conceal noise or bulk (comfort is a high priority). But when I’m out, I wear a control brief of some type or sometimes a body briefer (like a very snug onesie with a bra built in) over usually double diapers or a disposable.
I hope that clears things up. My guess is that guys generally have much more difficulty with concealing cloth diapers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:33 am 

Also, you may want to try the urethane pants from LLMedico.com. They are roomy, thin, flexible, very comfortable, and extremely durable. Only negative is the noise. With a concealer, I found that there’s no issues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:26 pm 

Ellyn,

Your skill at arranging protection to manage need is impressive. I'm a skinny runt, which makes concealing diaper bulge difficult. However, I walk like a drunk, which usually distracts the attention of onlookers, and even family on occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:08 am 

Ellyn wrote:
Also, you may want to try the urethane pants from LLMedico.com. They are roomy, thin, flexible, very comfortable, and extremely durable. Only negative is the noise. With a concealer, I found that there’s no issues

Not sure they're available here in the UK. I use the rubber and plastic covers from Drylife (some are made by Kins, others I'm not sure about). I was talking more about getting them to fit in the pants rather than concealing them from view; I only use cloth in bed right now. When I tried using two prefolds, they hardly fit in the pants and they are more than adequate for the disposable plus cloth pull-up arrangement I've been using to prevent night-time leaks.

And yes, it's difficult for us men even finding trousers that fit comfortably over a diaper, as well as concealing it. Being able to wear a skirt would be much more convenient; I saw a dress advertised that would be ideal for this (I'm referring to the pinafore dresses on this page): https://www.rosablue.com/countrywear