www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

So finally me and my mom decided to visit my aunt and we will be leaving next week.....
So when it comes to air travel I always worry... All the times I've been on flights and had a bowel accident I couldn't manage to change in that small toilet they have...i have some mobility problems which is the main reason I find it impossible.... So what happens is I try to change... Realize I can't even stand for a few seconds without losing balance while trying to change and I go back to seat..... Ever since then I just don't bother to go to the bathroom and have another failed attempt... I've tried many times and I just can't.... And the really sucky part is that by the time I get to change at the airport it's already done it's worse..... Cause once I got a rash which took some time to get rid of....I use barrier cream and everything but maybe I should use more? Surprisingly smell wasn't a problem even though my accidents are quite big... I've heard that international flights have handicap restrooms but the interstate ones are much smaller planes and don't have handicap bathrooms.... The flight is just a few hours but that's why I'm worried....
So does anyone have any tips or do I have to just bear with it.......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:31 pm 

Well... I'm not sure how much control you have. Are you able to use the bathroom before you board your flight? Sometimes just sitting on a toilet is enough to get you to have a bowel movement. If not, you could try a bowel prep/ enema sometime just before your flight. That might just be enough to get you through till after your flight. Or is there anything else "proactive" you can do before hand?

If not, then yeah I'd say use an ample amount of barrier cream, and maybe some nullo too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:30 am 

I don't have any control really, it just happens so randomly I can't really predict when I might be changing. Sitting down doesn't really trigger it at all...
My doctor had adviced against enema's because I've had surgery over there previously and he doesn't think it's a good idea to use enema's frequently. But maybe I can do it once? Though I'm scared to do anything I shouldn't.... That area is pretty sensitive for me....

Maybe using plenty of barrier cream and taking Nullo would do... Maybe I'll just do that and see.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am 
Admin

I wouldn't do anything your doctor has advised against. If it were me, I would just keep taking my Nullo, use my barrier cream, and just hope for the best. Those bathrooms are small. No sense getting injured. I would just make sure I have a clean diaper when I get on the plane, and just change when I get off. Try not to worry too much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:42 pm 

Don wrote:
I wouldn't do anything your doctor has advised against. If it were me, I would just keep taking my Nullo, use my barrier cream, and just hope for the best. Those bathrooms are small. No sense getting injured. I would just make sure I have a clean diaper when I get on the plane, and just change when I get off. Try not to worry too much.

Yeah your probably right...I get all panicky and nervous when flying, and just feeling really anxious if I have an accident cause I want to get off the plane as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 am 

Mia, although I am an advocate for the use of enemas to manage fecal incontinence, and use them daily, you should NOT try them without your physician's prior approval.

You might discuss with your doctor the use of small saline (tap water and salt) enemas for clearing out the lower colon. This particularly may be helpful before important events, such as flying. Nonetheless, you would need to experiment with enemas before your trip as everyone responds a little differently.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Mia, although I am an advocate for the use of enemas to manage fecal incontinence, and use them daily, you should NOT try them without your physician's prior approval.

You might discuss with your doctor the use of small saline (tap water and salt) enemas for clearing out the lower colon. This particularly may be helpful before important events, such as flying. Nonetheless, you would need to experiment with enemas before your trip as everyone responds a little differently.

--John

Yeah, my doctor had explained of a lot of what's going on down there and what kind of problems there are, so usually I always go through my doctor to try anything. I'll be leaving Wednesday so I don't have enough time to try it but I will definitely talk to the doctor about this for rare situations like this. I have previously mentioned it and adviced against using it. But like I've thought about it and i don't fly a lot so it's just a few hours, I'll try really hard to avoid a rash and that should be good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:36 pm 

I don't fly all that much anymore but I do a few times a year when I go to my place in Florida. My problem has been severe urgency for years and I regularly use Nullo for odor control, liberal amounts of Desitin ointment (zinc oxide) to prevent rashes and always good diapers with heavy gauge plastic pants. I too find it near impossible to change in flight so I will use loperamide to slow things down. I have to use a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil 4x a day) to keep from having loose stool so even if I took an enema that's no guarantee of an accident free flight. All the other precautions I mentioned earlier help if an accident does happen. Unfortunately, with all the fiber I take I have increased frequency and volume. Since my BM's tend to be rather large I always make sure I'm wearing a really good diaper (confidry 24/7) and some heavy gauge plastic pants. It can be a bit uncomfortable sitting through half the flight in a loaded diaper but nobody has ever noticed and I've never gotten a rash. I know you're back from your trip but it's something to think about before your next flight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:58 am 

Mia,
I hoe your flight went off without incident. Report back when you can.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 am 

My flight went well, though I felt really bad sitting in a full brief. It's such a freaking disgusting feeling. I mean even after I got off the plane I started going again -.- totally not cool. At least they had a decent handicap bathroom. I did get a small rash, I managed to get rid of it in a few days but still it sucked.....

The last week I was on another trip with my family and I was just riddled with accidents the entire week in such a bad way. I couldn't enjoy anything. Had so many freak accidents on the way back. I'm so damn tired and just want to take it easy for a few days. Worst part is I'm also feeling starved so eating isn't going to be helping my already flared up incontinence. Hopefully this goes down in a few days. Just feeling like I've no control of anything in my life right now....