www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adjusting to cloth
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:51 pm 

I'm still thinking about moving to cloth once I retire. With that in mind, I've been buying cloth diapers & pul pants when I find extraordinary sales and have extra cash. I still have some concerns, however.

As a long time wearer of specific brands of disposables, I have found it very easy to get a perfect fit the first time. I also know by feel just how much longer I can wear before needing a change. I can also tell how soon I need to change because the fluff has migrated away from effectivity due to walking too much.There is a certain comfort in my "normal brands" that is not duplicated when I try out a new brand. Fit is different, feel is different, they take time to get used to.

Is cloth the same? I've tried using cloth from time to time, but so far I've had minimal success with getting them pinned on right. I have not been able to tell if I'm "near capacity" by feel, and often that means leaks. I have yet to wear them away from the house for that reason.

Post subject: Re: Adjusting to cloth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:52 am 

As with many other aspects of incontinence management, learning to pin on cloth diapers so as to obtain optimum use may require time and experimentation. There are gender differences about the placement of maximum absorbency, the decision whether to use two or four pins, whether to use night weight diapers full time, or lighter weight diapers during the daytime are just some of the issues. When purchasing diapers, stick with all cotton fabric; blended fabrics such as nylon, rayon, and polyester last longer wash after wash, but repel moisture rather than absorb it. Good luck and report back on your success.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 pm 

Well put Patrick!
I would only add that using a compression brief (for day use) to support and conceal the bulk of the chosen diaper thickness and weight is my recommendation. Unlike disposable diapers, cloth can be compressed (but not overly compressed) to conceal the bulk without affecting the absorption greatly. Experimentation is recommended.
Cloth wicks moisture very well (better than disposable) but over-compression will affect that attribute.
At night, I recommend being as comfortable as possible, though a light compression brief to support the much thicker (and heavier) double diapers (if chosen) is preferred.
I hope my experiences help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 pm 

I just thought I would put in my two cents worth. I have been using the adjustable Velcro cloth diapers from Rearz's Inc. I was a little skeptical at first but they do seem to give me a good fit day and night. I also use a light compression pant as well . My only concern is the durability , I only have a few so I need to have more for a good rotation to increase the overall life of the set.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:42 am 

At the beginning of my problems I'd try it also because I thought this is more sustainable - but in fact wasn't:

- you need to change more often because of the limited capacity and the ammoniac that develops fast and start to smell. This means also you have to carry a lot more diapers or pads with you, that are even more bulky.

- you need to transport the used pads or diapers back home and you need to store them somewhere over the daytime - if you are at work a no-go...

- You need to wash them as fast as possible otherwise they smell.

- I never had enough 60° laundry to wash - so the machine runs with maybe 20% of the possible load. Not really sustainable.

If you stay at home this may work, but you're active and out of home I don't think that this a real option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:07 am 

All good points Michael and so true, I do a lot of washing. If I am out of the house for an extended period of time for more than six hours , I usually do use a premium disposable with removable boosters, for a lot of the reasons you mention and it just makes being out far less complicated.

Paul Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am 

Good points Michael. I have worn cloth for MANY years, but I also use a lot of disposables as well. For the most part, I don’t use cloth diapers if:

-I’m away from home for the day or more (vacation, etc) and don’t have access to laundry facilities.
-I’m going to be away from home more than 3-5 hours and access to changing facilities is unknown.
-Wearing fashions that emphasize the bulk (about anything other than a fuller dress or skirt).
-I develop a severe skin rash... Changing often and medicated creams are key.

Otherwise, I’m always in cloth:

-At night unless I’m away from home. I’m a heavy wetter at night AND a side sleeper. On vacation, I wear a disposable with a booster and use an under pad on the bed.
-At home with my family.
-Away from home and have access to changing facilities and an adequate place to store soiled diapers. These diapers must be laundered within a day, otherwise it gets unpleasant.

I do a lot of local travel for my job, meeting with customers. I have mapped out places to change near these customer locations in case I need to chance.
Cloth diapers aren’t for everyone. There’s a lot of work that goes into cloth diapering. On the other hand, I find cloth diapers MUCH more comfortable than disposable when I’m outside in Texas heat and humidity. At night, there’s no equal for security from leaks. In the long run, they are cheaper than disposable and less landfill issues.
One more issue about going cloth in public. You must have the right body shape AND the right fashions. I’d guess that men have more difficulty concealing cloth diapers. Personally, I’m very short, very slender, but have wide hips and virtually no butt. I’m always in a printed dress or denim so the extra padding on the butt actually makes me look ~better~....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 am 

I second everything above. If you wear cloth, as I do, you make your washer and dryer earn their board and keep, every day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 am 

As to the fashion side, both my wife and I have migrated to many days in overalls around the house. Right now, there is a lot of yard work to be done. So much, in fact, that we have ordered a new tractor to help out with much of it. The overalls hides loads of bulk, but I really look like a farmer/hillbilly. As summer comes on, this will be too warm for me, and I will be moving to shorts and lengthy t-shirts.

Thank you all for your tips, tricks, and encouragement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 pm 

Hi Tom,
I've been using cloth at night mainly. Still pretty new to it. I get what you're talking about with the capacity monitoring. I think I finally figured out that weight and time is a good indicator for me. I think i can sense about how much use there is left based on how heavy they feel, and how much time has passed. My disposable lasts around 3 hours, and I made sure whatever configuration I was wearing would be comparable "in use" time to that. I agree with everyone that says it's too bulky to wear in public. It is comfortable and feels more secure IMO. I don't have leaks at night with cloth, so that's why I like it.