www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:13 am 

Hi everyone,

I've been using terry pants over disposables at night for some time, and it's been very effective at controlling leaks with no urine ever reaching the bedsheets. The problem is that my pants have all shrunk and although they still fit, they're very tight over the disposable and seems to interfere with the fit, making them more likely to leak into the cloth. I get them from Drylife and the older Canadian ones have lasted better but are now really too small and their newer British-made ones have shrunk much more rapidly, even the much larger sized ones. I have some of their terry squares but they are too thick for this.

I was thinking of using some sort of towelling or fabric I could pin on rather than pull up, as then I would not have to worry if it shrank. I looked at the ACD site and you can get prefolds with no centre panel (as the absorbency needed is at the leg rather than in the middle) but the costs are prohibitive; with shipping costs to the UK it would cost nearly £200 for six.

Does anyone know where I could get something I could use that preferably I wouldn't have to sew myself?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:35 pm 

I believe that the UK does have a continence service as part of its medical ministry. I regretted reading that washables from the USA were so costly for you. Surely a continence nurse could assist you. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:25 pm 

Patrick wrote:
I believe that the UK does have a continence service as part of its medical ministry. I regretted reading that washables from the USA were so costly for you. Surely a continence nurse could assist you. Good luck and keep us informed.

The NHS continence service doesn't supply cloth nappies of any kind, only disposables (not very good quality ones in a lot of places).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:08 pm 

Would shipment from Canada be cheaper? Rearz.com has a variety of adult sizes, you just have to ignore the print. Their jumbo flats may work. Also they have good stainless steel pins, 80mm long.
Have you looked into the abdlfactory? Their pricing is in Euros so they may be closer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:42 pm 

Stan wrote:
Would shipment from Canada be cheaper? Rearz.com has a variety of adult sizes, you just have to ignore the print. Their jumbo flats may work. Also they have good stainless steel pins, 80mm long.
Have you looked into the abdlfactory? Their pricing is in Euros so they may be closer.

If they're based in the EU there's no guarantee of getting them to the UK right now because of the Brexit situation. If Rearz did a day weight prefold, I might try them; they're cheaper than ACD's offerings but they only do the night weight one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:21 pm 

I find that prefolds take a lot more dryer time than flats. I get the effect of a prefold by folding one flat to get enough thickness where I need it and using it as an insert in another flat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:46 am 

Well, I've found a solution: I had some bath towels from the supermarket, 70x120cm (so, medium sized towels, bigger than hand towels but not a whole-body bath sheet), and I pinned these on like a prefold and it does the job perfectly. I only need it to contain small leaks from the disposable so I don't need to order expensive prefolds or terry pants which will shrink.

Putting an insert inside the disposable also seems to have helped; since it's pressed closer to my body, it soaks up urine more quickly rather than letting it trickle down as was the case before and keeps everything in position, so this cuts out a lot of the risk of side leaks (male problem). I'm in between two sizes of disposable and use the bigger one, which may explain why I was getting more leaks before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:37 pm 

I am glad you found a solution!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:44 am 

pretty pricey but I am pleased so far with the ProtecBrief that I have been using for a week or so now at night.
no wayward leaks from the disposable reaching my bed now. the adult sizes do not say peepeepants lol.
also does great with my nemesis which is leaking out the lower left rear buttocks area. never the right always the left
I think i sit funny do to that hip being all screwed up.

https://www.protecbriefs.com/products/protecbriefs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:00 pm 

They look really good. I wonder if anyone ships them to the UK.