www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:02 pm 

Pinning tight means that you may need to remove and re-pin several times. If you have a bar of soap handy, and use it to lubricate the pins before each insertion, all will go well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:45 pm 

I mostly use pins, as they are solid and if I pull the waist tight enough, they hold up well. I do have Snappis as well, but they only work in certain cases. If I use the diapers that Changing Times says I should use (size medium or large) the overlaps come at my sides, and so I have to use a separate set for each side. If I use an XL or bigger, then I get enough overlap that I can use a single Snappi and that works better. The diaper is so long that I have to fold over in front to gather all the extra, which works out for absorbency but makes the front of my jeans extra poofy. I save those for when I'm home and not going out anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 am 

HumanFly wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
I like them because they are quick to apply and the stretchy nature of them keeps the waist of the diaper tight. Also I have not poked my fingers :? trying to push a pin through a heavy weight prefold since starting to use them.

I've actually not been able to get a pin to trap enough fabric and keep a prefold tight around my waist, especially when I double up. Only Snappis will do that for me. How do people manage to pin them tight?

It takes some practice, but I've found that pulling the back of the diaper tight to the front flaps works better than trying to pull the front tight against the back, if that makes sense. Then I roll a bit and pull the back flaps to tighten it across my waist and pin the other side. When pinning I only put a very small portion of the pin through the back/inside layer. It seems to work well for me until the cloth starts to stretch with activity, then I have to re-pin it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm 

Good you have sorted out a solution. I have a 39 inch waist and use both large and extra large changing times prefolds. I use them primarily at night although the large do work ok for daytime if I am at home. I've never had a problem getting the snappis to grab the changing times twill prefolds or stretch far enough to hold everything in place. Again good luck finding something that works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:57 am 

What are people's thoughts on using cloth inserts? I'm thinking about ordering some of the inserts from CTDC when I get my next set of prefolds. I'm thinking a overnight prefold and an insert might be a good daytime solution for me to reduce the bulk of two prefolds. A single prefold is a nice thickness for being discreet, but it's no where near absorbent enough and with just one diaper and I feel very wet all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:02 pm 

I use as an insert, diaper booster, some cloth "flour sacks" sold at my local Sam's Wholesale store. They are just a flat piece of cotton about 16" by 24". I fold them up and add to my cloth diaper. hey work very well and pretty cheap. Last a long time too............Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm 

Inserts I use come in many combinations of cloth and or disposables. I simply prefer a lot of choice based on my incontinence needs of the day, where I'll be, for how long, etc. No set formula to this. Sometimes I tend to think the decision process is an art form. Just my 2 cents.

John.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 pm 

The inserts I use are the older, ratty diapers that can no longer suffice as primary protection.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:31 pm 

I've used WalMarts "Flour Sack Towels" as inserts for years and they work great. As Paul said they are just flat 100% cotton cloths about 28' x 28" and cost well less than a dollar a piece. I fold them into a 12 layer pad and use them in my disposable diaper at night as a doubler. They absorb and wick much faster than a disposable and then then distribute the wetness to the disposable which acts as a kind of reservoir. In the morning I simply rinse out the cotton pad and hang to dry and then wash in the regular clothing wash when I do a load. Since they are only one layer thick they dry very quickly. An added bonus is if you are traveling the cotton pads are inexpensive enough that after use you can simply dispose of them with the diaper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:45 am 

I use doublers for various situations, both cloth and disposable, which effectively increase the time between changes. One note of caution however... I haven’t had much luck with an insert inside a cloth diaper during an active day as it usually migrates south and bunches.
I wear double cloth during the day, for both absorption AND comfort. In the hot and humid Texas outdoors, I can absolutely soak a single cloth diaper in a short time with excessive perspiration only! Don’t even get me started about disposables! Double diapers keep me much drier, cooler, and comfortable, much longer. There’s no substitute for periodic changes though, When the diaper is wet and needing changing, change it (!) as it becomes a issue of healthy skin, cleanliness, and overall wellness at some point. I wear the absorbency that I need (cloth or disposable) based on the flow, time between changes, comfort, and wardrobe, nothing more or less. On the ranch or traveling, I might not be able to change for several hours so good planning for adequate protection is a necessity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next