www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm 

MsErin wrote:
I do need to get some better pins. 3 out of the 4 were bent this morning. The snuggi fasteners look interesting but I’m confused about how they would work for an adult. I don’t see them stretching enough to secure the diaper wings. Do you us them differently than how they’re used for baby diaper? Like at the side kind of like a tape.

Yes, you use them the same way as on infants - they look small when they are new but they stretch with use. They have little claws that you stick into the two wings and then the one that hangs down, you put the claws on that into the part that comes up from between the legs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:25 pm 

On the subject of large QUALITY pins, Rearz sells plastic head pins, about 3” long, made from stiff stainless steel that stays sharp and doesn’t bend. I’ve used them for at least 9 months now without them becoming unpinned and poking me in the night, tearing plastic pants, etc.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these pins.
As for cloth diapers during the day, your body shape and wardrobe choice will dictate how thick you can go without showing. When I need to appear trim, I use disposable products and combinations. When I’m on the ranch, I wear a loose dress In the summer heat and humidity. Lately, it’s been loose fitting jeans and one newer (thicker) diaper due to the lower temperatures. After awhile if you stay with cloth, you’ll accumulate varying thickness of diapers, day use, night use, heavy days, light days. i always purchase “nighttime weight diapers” and as they are washed, they loose some thickness and become “day weight” for double diapering during the day. As I said too, body shape has a lot to do with being confident in public. I’m not quite 5’ tall, wide hips, flat butt, and otherwise slender. The diapers actually fill out my butt under a dress. Control briefs or body briefers are highly recommended over cloth in public to compact and control sag from a wet diaper. Trips to town or the mall in cloth is typical for me, depending on the planned away time and flow factors. I can go about 4-5 hours in double diapers during the day but only 2-3 with a single one. Disposable products last about 4-5 hours and I can easily change while out without dealing with a wet diaper in a plastic bag.
Finally, you have witnessed the confidence of double cloth diapers at night. I have a waterproof mattress cover onthe bed but haven’t had leaking issues for a very long time. If you live where it’s warm and humid in the summer, and spend hours outside, and can manage the diapered look, you will feel soooo much more comfortable! When I work at the office, it’s usually disposable due to changing needs, unless it’s a few hours, then it’s cloth.
One more thing.... Always be prepared! Stuff happens!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:29 pm 

Ellyn,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I will be getting some pins from Rearz. I've had three nights in cloth and it's been amazing. I don't remember the last time I slept so well.

I do want to start trying cloth diapers outside of just at night. I'm just so impressed by the comfort level. Last week I was dealing with a diaper rash and just a few nights in cloth have helped so much in giving my skin a break and clearing the rash up. I'm 100% sold on cloth diapers for nighttime use. I already know I can't go back to disposables at night.

I think I'm close clothing wise for daytime cloth. I also have a bit of a flat butt too and it's made hiding disposable diapers very easy and I suspect with some changes cloth too. I live in Wisconsin so I only have to deal with intense heat for a month or two in the summer. I wear skirts and dresses year round and it's super easy to hid my diapers. Although I may need to go up a size for the bulk of cloth. I don't know how men with incontinence handle pants! Pants are just not an option for me and I wouldn't know what I'd do if I didn't wear skirts and dresses. I'm defiantly going to look into control briefs and shape wear options for reducing the bulk of cloth.

I like your idea of only buying night weight diapers and letting them get thinner with use. I'm considering getting a few daytime weight diapers just to jump start the process until I have a proper rotation going.

My brain is really getting obsessed with cloth diapers. They are just so amazing and I so wish I would have tried them years ago. I'm at working just counting the hours until I get home and can change to a cloth diaper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 pm 

I was glad to read of your positive experience with cloth diapers. Granted, they are not for everyone; even those of us who use them as our primary management tool nevertheless resort to disposables occasionally. However, with you, I find that the security and comfort they offer far outweigh the inconvenience. As for males using cloth diapers, dark trousers that are a size or two larger are sufficient.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:10 pm 

MsErin wrote:
I don't know how men with incontinence handle pants! Pants are just not an option for me and I wouldn't know what I'd do if I didn't wear skirts and dresses. I'm defiantly going to look into control briefs and shape wear options for reducing the bulk of cloth.

Luckily, there are many different styles of jeans available today, including Athletic fit and Loose Fit so going a size up in those generally offers plenty of room to accommodate a premium disposable or a couple layers of cloth. I avoid skinny jeans or whatever they are called with the narrow legs that are in style now. As for dress and casual pants, I look for something with a generous cut. Certain styles of Dockers work, and Lee makes a nice Khaki (if you can find them). If they have front pleats, then all the better, but of course my wife won't let me wear pleated pants since they are, apparently, way out of style! Long, untucked shirts also help to conceal errant bulges.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:02 pm 

How is it going? Have you got more since your first couple of nights? Which prefolds do you prefer - the Rearz twill or the Leakmaster birdseye - and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:32 am 

I've had seven nights now in cloth diapers and I'm hooked. I've had zero leaks or anything that would come close to a leak. The diapers are getting super soft from the washings. I've done a few tries at home during the day with cloth diapers and that's been okay. I'm no where near ready for an outing in cloth.

Here's some thoughts on the past week.

-I do not like the snappis "pins." As I was worried in a previous post they are not stretchy enough to go from wing to wing and I was right. I've been using them two on a side like a tape. This works okay, but has a tendency to come undone overnight.

-I'm trying Ellyn's advice and have a set of Rearz pins coming.

-I like the Rearz twill better than the leak master. They just feel softer to me and I like they way they're puffing up and aging better than the leakmaster diapers. They're also a few inches wider and work better for pinning the diapers on.

-I'm going to try twill prefolds from CTDC next. They're the same size and weight at Rearz and much cheaper. I have two on order to test. If they work out I'm going to order a bunch when my flex account refills next month.

-I bought the leakmaster PUL pants. They work really well, but I don't really like the fact that they're pure white. I wear PUL over disposables most days and I have a lot of fun PUL pants, but they're not large enough for cloth diapers. Because I'm a woman and I want to feel like I'm wear something colorful inline with panty colors and patterns. So I'm going to need to order some larger sizes.

-If I'm feeling brave, I may go out to the stores in the mess that's holiday shopping season and get some shapewear so I can try daytime outside of the house cloth diapering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:44 pm 

MsErin wrote:
If I'm feeling brave, I may go out to the stores in the mess that's holiday shopping season and get some shapewear so I can try daytime outside of the house cloth diapering.

I just returned from a trip to Aldi and Wal Mart and (trust me on this) people are completely oblivious to what is going on around them! They are so focused on getting done what they need to get done, that they don't even realize anyone else is in the store. If you want a safe time for your first public adventure in cloth, now is the time, LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:05 pm 

Re: Snappi fasteners.
I've used the size #2 for many years. They start out bit short and tight, but over time and wear they stretch out. I only use one per diaper. Right now my collection ranges from close to original length to about 10 inches un-streached. I have never ever had one break because it was over stretched.
I like them because they are quick to apply and the stretchy nature of them keeps the waist of the diaper tight. Also I have not poked my fingers :? trying to push a pin through a heavy weight prefold since starting to use them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:39 pm 

Steve M. wrote:
I like them because they are quick to apply and the stretchy nature of them keeps the waist of the diaper tight. Also I have not poked my fingers :? trying to push a pin through a heavy weight prefold since starting to use them.

I've actually not been able to get a pin to trap enough fabric and keep a prefold tight around my waist, especially when I double up. Only Snappis will do that for me. How do people manage to pin them tight?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next