www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:02 pm 

I wear cloth diapers that I made. I have found that they will last five hours before leaking. The reason I like cloth is that when I am home I can usually make it to the bathroom. I can remove cloth diapers and they do not “clump”. Also in the long run they do not cost as much as disposable diapers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:04 am 

5bugles,
Thank you for the question.
I purchase my cloth diapers from AdultClothDiaper (.com), and have for years. Unfortunately, they come to me not always the same dimensions from lot to lot so I buy them in sets of 2 (buy 2, 4, or as many as 6 at a time) in medium for me.... At laundry time, I fold sets of diapers like I fold socks, matching the sizes of the sets. It’s ALL about body size AND shape. My waist is pretty small but my hips are wide, and I have a pretty small backside too. I “can” fit into a size small but I have bought medium for years. Here’s why:
I take a two diaper set and lay one on top of the other, with the tags at one end. I place the tags so that they end up at my back, just because.... The center section of the diapers are the most absorbent as it contains the soaker layers. I fold both (together) into 1/3s along the length, then fan out the back (tag end). If I’m at home, I lay down on the bed and position myself over the diaper set with the tag end at the small of my back (this is a good time to use powder), then bring up the front, keeping the folded diapers together as they come between my legs. If I’m not home, I place the 1/3 folded diaper set behind me and hold them in place by leaning back against something. Holding the front, still folded at the front and between my legs, I reach behind and unfold one side at the corner, keeping the folded section between my legs held tightly.
As I said, it’s all about your body size and shape, and experience with that particular set of diapers (size varies somewhat). As example, I know this set has to have the sides folded in (at the front) by maybe 4 inches on both sides, so I fold and pin the ends together at one side (usually my right side) with the back corner over the front folded corner, overlapping a few inches. This pin ends up at my pelvic bone and easy to reach. Then I pin the left side, making sure I have a snug fit between my legs and at my waist. I always pin diapers with the pin vertical as it tends to keep the diapers snugger. Because I pinned snuggly and my waist is much smaller than my hips, the diapers stay in place pretty well.
Next is waterproof pants and compression panty if needed.
I had said that sizing is ALL about body shape.... I can fit into a adult size small diaper if necessary but medium fits me so much better! There’s several reasons I went medium many, many years ago... Medium let’s me bring the diapers well up my waist for pinning (medium size diaper is longer than size small) so it’s pinned snugger and less likely to work down my hips (sag). Double diapering makes the diaper width slightly smaller in length and width due to the diaper thickness. And lastly, I like the pins to be at my pelvic bones so it’s *much* easier to pin snuggly and the pins are not noticeable through clothes.
It’s the same with disposable diapers. I like them higher on my waist and the tape tabs more in front. Small is simply “small” on my and doesn’t seem to hold nearly as much wetness well.
I hope that this all helps you in some way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:41 am 

Thank you, @Ellyn, for sharing your system. It will be very helpful to me and others. I think I know now what I have been doing wrong - not keeping the front folded for pinning. I'm also wondering if I need to go up a size to make pinning easier (or maybe I just need to lose a few pounds!). Pinning vertically is a great idea! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:33 pm 

To add to your pinning technique, newbies may need to be reminded that cloth diapering and pinning techniques need to be gender specific, especially regarding soaker pad placement and pin (either double or quadruple) placement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 pm 

Hi Patrick
My prefolds have a center (1/3 width) section soaker built within, from end to end. As far as two pins per side, I’ve never used more than two total.
Please Patrick, provide information that you have on this and how gender issues apply.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:26 am 

My nighttime protection is usually a double, night weight birdseye medium from ACD. When my GI system is misbehaving, I need to sleep sitting up in a chair. Even when I feel free to sleep lying down, I toss and turn frequently, and sometimes sleepwalk. In order to keep the chair and bedding dry, I need to place extra absorbency high in front. I would guess that females would need to have their protection lower in front. Whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 am 

On pinning technique: I customarily use a two pin setup; however, this offers poor protection for a bowel release. When I fear I might have a bowel release, I use a four pin setup, with extra Desitin and powder.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 am 

When you take two cloth diapers, fold them into 1/3s in width, bring them snuggly between a woman’s legs, that’s generally all that is needed. That’s a lot of absorbent cloth in the area where it’s needed, regardless of laying position, sitting, standing, moon walking, or roller coaster riding. Moisture wicks up the front and back pretty evenly and can provide for hours of comfortable protection. With guys, I guess it’s a matter of positioning male parts as to where the moisture will dispense and wick from there, but most likely in the lower front area is my thought. Regardless, the prefold diapers probably aren’t positioned much differently but a size larger and folding technique would probably place more bulk in front, and less concealable.... With this, in the long run, maybe large flat diapers are ultimately better for men (vs prefolds) as they can then be folded to any size and shaper needed to render the most absorption where needed (?). This would take imagination and lots of trials but I have seen recommended folding techniques on the web before. In the end though, I really do think prefolds are the best choice for most, M or F.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm 

I agree, pre-folds offer the best protection. Learning the fold that works best, however, took time and many errors.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 am 

Ellyn wrote:
With guys, I guess it’s a matter of positioning male parts as to where the moisture will dispense and wick from there, but most likely in the lower front area is my thought.

Men would need more protection at the front more generally as an erection during sleep would likely force the penis into an upward position and it would then stay there. This is why men would need side protection (ie. cloth overpants and rubber/plastic cover) regardless of what position they sleep in.

What size cover do you use, so as to make sure all the cloth is held in and the elastic is tight to the skin? That's been the biggest barrier to using cloth at night for me. Even the next size up doesn't do both these things.