www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:17 am 

My wife was asking about my increased use of cloth diapers recently, because they are not as discrete and result in more laundry. I explained to her that they were more comfortable to me in the heat and humidity and that every disposable I didn't use saved a couple bucks (and didn't go into a landfill). Even after all this time, she had no idea how much quality disposable diapers cost, and had always taken the position that I shouldn't worry about money and buy what I needed, a stance I've always appreciated. She also always seemed "put off" when I would order printed diapers that were on sale - I figure no one else sees them, so why shouldn't I save some money? I guess because I always use our secondary account when I order, she never really paid attention to how much I was spending on IC products. This got me to thinking and I ran some numbers:

A case of NS MegaMax, my "go to" diaper, with shipping breaks down to around $2.35 per diaper, which I believe is a fair price for a superior product. Typically, I will go through 4- 6 per day, depending on how much cooperation I am getting out of my bladder at any given time and what I have going on in my world. This figures out to $11.75 per day (averaging 5), or $4288.75 per year! Even I had no idea how much it cost me to stay dry, but it helps explain why money seems tighter over the past couple years. While in truth, real numbers are a bit less due to using a mix of products when possible, it is still a substantial sum going out every year for a little more convenience and a little more discretion. More simple math shows that by saving just 2 disposables per day, I will save around $1700 per year, which could go toward the mortgage, car payments, vacation, etc. Even allowing for laundry costs (electricity, detergent, etc.) it is still a substantial savings.

While I don't expect I will ever go fully to cloth, as it would be impractical for me for a number of reasons, this furthers my resolve to use cloth as often as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:05 am 

Man, i don't know how you can be going through 6 megamax in a day. That's a lot, given how absorbent they are.

I did i big calculation, and tried to figure all the costs of cloth that are hidden. I eventually figured the laundry portion at about $3 a load. That included water, sewer, detergent, vinegar, periodic stripping, drying, electric, and gas involved.

The savings depends on your utility costs, your washer and dryer efficiency, what detergent you use, and how many diapers you can wash and dry at once and still get clean.

For me it cost the savings in half. Once i figured the purchase and treatment costs the cloth, the savings over using abena was pretty narrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 pm 

MSUSpartan wrote:
Man, i don't know how you can be going through 6 megamax in a day. That's a lot, given how absorbent they are..

True, it is a lot, but I tend to flood and since they don't distribute as well as I'd like, after the first flood or 2, I am left with a softball size clump of SAP in front. That, in and of itself, is not a big deal to me, but subsequent floods, especially when sitting, don't absorb well and end up leaking out the gaps in the sides or over the top. I love that they contain a huge amount at once (which I need) but have gotten pretty cautious about wearing a fairly wet one out and about, particularly when I am going to be driving or working. Therefore, I err on the side of caution and change more often than maybe I need to...have had multiple instances of leaks when I've tried to push one too far. Someone suggested using a cotton cloth liner to help distribute better, which I may try.

Also, due to my business, I make a point to always start with a dry diaper when I go in, as it is common for me to go 5-6 hours on a busy night without a break to change. On days I am just working around the house or whatever, I typically will push them more, and yes, have had days where 3 got me through the day, but with the fecal incon rearing its ugly head, I also have occasions where it is necessary to change an otherwise dry diaper, so I averaged it out to 5 for my calculations. Of course I do mix in other less expensive diapers, but those are still in the $2 range, plus or minus, when shipping is included.

There are times I wish I had a more constant leak, voided more, or could consistently slow the stream, as it would give me more options in products. Unfortunately, my main concern is the flooding and potential for leaks when I have a full-on, violent, bladder release. This is the worst case scenario I have to plan for.

I figure my laundry at about $1.75 - $2 a load - most of that utility costs. I generally use a Tide pod and maybe an anti-odor pod. I haven't used vinegar in a long while, and don't strip them either, and haven't had any issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm 

5bugles wrote:
MSUSpartan wrote:
Man, i don't know how you can be going through 6 megamax in a day. That's a lot, given how absorbent they are..

True, it is a lot, but I tend to flood and since they don't distribute as well as I'd like, after the first flood or 2, I am left with a softball size clump of SAP in front. That, in and of itself, is not a big deal to me, but subsequent floods, especially when sitting, don't absorb well and end up leaking out the gaps in the sides or over the top.

I brought this issue to Adam at northshore's attention. I think this is a problem with the SAP to pulp ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:09 am 

Thank you for breaking this down, I've been considering switching over!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:48 pm 

Dear 5bules and all Wow what in interesting post, maybe because many of us probably have similar experience. Presently I am using an Abena 4 plastic back at night, then a cloth diaper over that and then plastic pants. My bed is 99% dry. I to find that the cloth are more comfortable and cheaper. I don't argue with the consideration of the laundering costs but really never figured it so closely. One thing about that is there are other things in laundry load that need washed anyway.
I think another thing you wrote that caught my eye was regarding the printed diaper I don' t have any, probably because I don't think I have ever seen them offered at lower cost than just plain white. However I do have a couple printed plastic pants, when my wife was living (about 4 yrs ago she died sad to say) She kinda gave me a funny look about the printed pants, I thought it was very kind of her not to say anything unkind about them but thought they were a bit much. I don't know, I like them, I'm not walking around Wal Mart in them but they suit me fine and I am not an adult baby. Thank you to all for you input It means much to me.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 am 

In similar fashion, I too am "doing the numbers". Because we are looking to relocate/retire in a foreign country and because that country's ability to supply super-absorbent disposables (like ConfiDry, MegaMax, etc) is limited, I'm working on the "switch" to cloth (yet again, because I've been down this road before: cloth cost vs. disposable convenience).

After doing all the math ... yes, cloth is WAY more cost effective (and even environmentally friendly) than plastic covered disposables. Of course, the initial cost outlay for cloth is high; but over time, it is way more cost effective. And while I begrudgingly admit that cloth is "better for me" overnight, I still find it tough to get over the "bulk".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:03 am 

ILuvLA,

Keep at it. The bulk, for me, is my assurance of an uninterrupted sleep and a dry bed in the morning. Even though I use Dry 24/7 when I travel, fear of a leak disturbs my sleep. Good luck.