Switch to full style
What type of cloth diapers have you tried?
What worked out and what hasn't?
Post a reply

Re: Diaper Pin Advice

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 am

Get a fishing hook sharpener. You can get them from a sporting goods store with a big fishing section, or buy them online. Also use rope wrench soap bar suggestion.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:52 am

I use a sharpening stone like you use to sharpen knives. Makes the pins real sharp.
The soap trick really works great to make them slide through the cloth a lot easier.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 am

MSUSpartan wrote:Get a fishing hook sharpener. You can get them from a sporting goods store with a big fishing section, or buy them online. Also use rope wrench soap bar suggestion.

Great idea! Thanks!

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am

I stopped using pins more than a year ago. Someone in this forum recommended the use of "Boingo" fasteners so I bought a pair and really like the way they fasten the diaper so I stopped using diaper pins all together more than a year ago. I highly recommend using Boingo fasteners in lieu of pins. Boingo fasteners are NOT cheap, but they work really, really good and never need sharpening. However, I like the idea of using a fishing hook sharpener to sharp diaper pins. Great idea :idea:

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Large (3 in - 80mm) diaper pins can be either nickel plated steel or stainless steel. I found the nickel plating pinholed with a few uses and rust stains appeared on my diapers.
Looking for large stainless pins, I found that Rearz (Canada) sold them and I bought 8 of them. They have lasted very well, over 6 months, and have retained their sharpness and have no corrosion problems. However I had to correct 3 deficiencies when I first got them. They opened too wide so that too much force was required to close and securely latch them in night weight diapers. Also 3 of them had pins too long to easily go into the plastic locking ends. These were corrected by re-bending the hinge coil. A closely fitting pin must be inserted into the coil so that it doesn't collapse from gripping most of the coil in a vice. Then the last turn can be bent appropriately to shorten the pin end and reduce the opening angle.

In addition I felt some burrs along the sides and at the point a few the pins (Running your finger nail along a surface is quite sensitive to surface imperfections). I used a fine, diamond hand hone to remove the burrs. Also when sharpening a point it is possible to leave a burr on the side opposite to the last grinding/honing, which gentle honing of the opposite side will remove.

I know this sounds complicated but I have really serviceable pins now. Maybe QA has improved or another manufacturer is now making them.
Post a reply