It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trying Cloth...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:01 pm 

Schoppy

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:26 am 

I wash in hot water with two rinse cycles. Still after a couple of months I come up with diapers that stink immediately after becoming just a little damp. At that point I "strip" them. There are numerous articles on-line and in this forum that address the process. It is very hard on diaper fabrics, so if you can avoid it, that is best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 am 

RetiredRN wrote:
I have gone to cloth diapers during the day. I have noticed that an odder can happen, before I need to change. I did not notice an odder when I used disposable diapers. My question is: Any one know of something I can treat a cloth diaper with that will prevent an unpleasant odder?

There are several factors that will make your cloth diapers smell one is if you are using too much soap. Another is not enough soap. If you have well water and you have "hard" water, this will effect how well the soap is used. You have a free options here, one you can try not to was has many at one time. This will make it easier for the machine to clean them and to rinse. Another option is to add an extra rinse cycle. I choose to do both and it takes me over a year to start noticing the build up smell.
As for the vinegar I add about a cup or two to my tub that I keep my wet diapers in till I have a load to wash. What was explained to me was that smell of ammonia comes from a build up of urea in the cloth. You see, ammonia is toxic to the body so the body will change the ammonia to a similar chemical called urea. Once it leaves the body it converts to ammonia but when it does this it crystallizes. Those crystals are what gets stuck in the fabric and causes the ammonia smell. The vinegar breaks down the crystals making it easier to get clean.
Now if you have a skunk type smell, that is normally caused but too much soap being left in the fabric. Again that's an easy fix with less soap or more rinse. The issue you will have right now is getting g what's in there out. This is when you need to strip them. From my experience the key to stripping cloth is lots of hot water. The easiest thing I have found is to reverse the water lines on my washer so cold is hot and hot is cold. Then I set the machine to do cold wash and cold rinse and it will do hot for all of it. I may do 2 or 3 runs of this with a bleach wash for the first one.
Go online and Google how to strip cloth diapers. You will find about a dozen ways to do it. Pick one that will work for you and your machine.

Good luck
Rope

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm 

I have used cloth for many years and can say that cloth is great for nighttime, lounging around the house, and times out when a cloth diaper can be concealed well. There’s also the issue of the cover when out. Obviously,vinyl, propylene, and other “crackley” materials potentially draw unwanted attention. There are covers that conceal the noise too, like compression attire. A great solution to all of that is PUL pants, which are very quiet and maybe a little cooler.
Being a Texas girl, I have to contend with HOT HUMID days here! I have found very few comfortable solutions for the perspiration that accompanies this climate! Honestly, most disposable diapers will bunch long before serving their intended purpose, simply from perspiration. A compression brief helps with bunching but becomes hot and uncomfortable very quickly. I have found only two solutions to dealing with the hottest and most humid days here when I must be outside for prolonged periods.... Double cloth diapers (like I use at night) is one as they absorb so well vs a single cloth that becomes very damp very quickly. A sundress or fuller skirt works well with double diapers but is problematic for a man. The only other solution for me is a premium pull-up with a booster pad (Tena pad). The pull-ups seem to bunch much less, maybe because they are thinner. The booster contains most of the wetness with the pull-up as a backup. This combo works quite well but is a costly solution. As a district positive, they are well concealed under shorts, slacks, etc, and even a bathing suit.
For me, a pad alone is a limited option and makes me uncomfortable because of past leaking issues.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:52 pm 

Concentrated (bright or deep yellow) urine will create odor issues (due to stronger ammonia concentration) sooner than nearly-clear urine. Staying hydrated is essential to keeping the urinary tract healthier, and will result in fewer issues with diaper odors. Plus, it lessens the risk of kidney stones.

I wash my cloth diapers (Snap-EZ pocket diapers and inserts) in hot water with All or Purex "free and clear" liquid detergent, Purex 2 color-safe liquid bleach (less scent than Clorox 2), and Borax. I set the washer to the maximum water level and utilize an extra rinse. I fill the washer only about half-way so that the diapers and inserts have plenty of room to move in the water, allowing the urine to rinse out completely. In addition, I dry them on a hot cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:32 am 

I use cloth diapers from baby-pants.com. I get Birdseye diapers. I am only 140 pounds, but I use an XL diaperx2 and a XL pant over it. I only wear them at night