www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm 

Currently I use Abena M4 during the day and babykins cloth diapers at night.
This past week, I tried wearing the cloth diapers during the day and I did not enjoy having the feeling of wet cloth against my skin all day.
I am thinking about using a disposable booster pad so that it wicks the moisture away. I would change the booster pad every several hours and change the cloth diaper 1-2x during the day.
I have two questions about this

1. Even though I wouldn't feel wet, the wet cloth diaper would still be against some of my skin Is it bad for your skin to have a wet cloth diaper against it all the time?
2. I know when to change a disposable. I know to change my overnight cloth in the morning. I haven't figured out when to change a daytime cloth diaper. A cloth diaper will have varying degrees of wetness at all times from dampness to saturated. When do you change your daytime cloth diaper?

thanks again
I am hoping to make the transition to cloth all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 am 

It is a diaper, change your diaper(s) when you feel it needs to be changed. Very simple. Unlike disposables it isn't another $1.50 every time you change. Disposables can "feel" less wet but they are wet. Using 1,2,3,etc. cloth diapers during the day is up to you. During the day I try to change before i "have" to incase i need to run out for something. Use good judgement to manage this. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 am 

Fiacs, you do not mention whether you are using some form of diaper rash cream or other skin protection or whether you are sensitive to diaper rashes.

We vary greatly with regard to skin sensitivity. Some can go without a skin lotion or cream, but I can not. I have learned that I need some form of skin protection. I wear disposables during the day and cloth at night and into the morning for a total of about 11 hours. That is a long time to be in a wet cloth diaper. Currently I apply a thin barrier of cocoanut oil during the day and a thick barrier of zinc oxide diaper rash cream at night. I will note that as long as I use a zinc oxide cream for at least 1/2 of the day I never have rashes. :D For skin health I also try to air out every day after my shower for at least an hour.

When I wear a daytime cloth diaper I do not change it until it is near the saturation point. As I wear a zinc oxide rash cream whenever I wear a cloth diaper I have no reason to rush to change.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 am 

Thanks for the replies so far.
I do not use any skin protection.
Per your recommendation, I will start trying skin protection and not worry about the changing as much.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am 

I wear disposables only when I travel. At home I wear washables almost exclusively. At home I go to the bathroom as often as possible in an effort to extend wear time. Depending on perspiration, fluid consumption, and exercise, I can make a daytime diaper last up to four hours. I keep myself shaved; I use soap and water at as many changes as possible, and I use zinc oxide salve and cornstarch powder.