www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sewing diapers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:11 pm 

I recently obtained a Cloth diaper pattern for a contour diaper i am trying to figure out what to use for layers. My current diapers are the Changing Time Incontrol diapers that are ok no impresses with diaper twill material used as it seems to rip with the boingo's. I am thinking a 6x10x6 diaper with additional 10 layer inserts. i don't own a serger yet but i have good sewing machine

Saving the world one family at a time, restoring hope though compassion.

Post subject: Re: Sewing diapers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 pm 

20 layers? I thought I overkilled with two night weight diapers. But better safe than wet. What is a serger? Papa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:40 pm 

The thickness is what i am wearing now just of the twill material so if we find better and more absorbent fabrics then i could drop the thickness so it not like wear a mattress LOL... My wife don't like wet beds LOL

a serger is a sewing machine that does a edge whip stitch and trims the fabric so it a nice clean edge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm 

I have made some pocket diapers for myself. I use PUL fabric on the outside and stay dry fabric on the inside. I then use an absorbent soaker between the layers. I bought the fabric at Jo-Ann's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 am 

RetiredRN wrote:
I have made some pocket diapers for myself. I use PUL fabric on the outside and stay dry fabric on the inside. I then use an absorbent soaker between the layers. I bought the fabric at Jo-Ann's.

i am just not sure what to use as a soaker for the diaper i could use birdseye but i am want to make them economical as well as i am tired of paying 25-30 per diaper

i guess i really need to better understand what fabrics i can use

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 pm 

I found some fabric in Walmart that I use as a soaker. I do not know what it is called however it looks like you could make bath towels with it. It is soft and fluffy and hold a lot of liquid.

Just like trying a lot of different disposable diapers you may need to experiment with different fabrics to find what works for you.

As for a sewing pattern I found one on the Internet that was free.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 am 

RetiredRN wrote:
I found some fabric in Walmart that I use as a soaker. I do not know what it is called however it looks like you could make bath towels with it. It is soft and fluffy and hold a lot of liquid.

Just like trying a lot of different disposable diapers you may need to experiment with different fabrics to find what works for you.

As for a sewing pattern I found one on the Internet that was free.

what that sounds like is a terry towelling material of some sort i was thinking something like that would be great for a soaker or maybe flease

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 pm 

Don't make it too think. I made Terry diapers with 8 layers at the core. They're impossible to get dry. I can run then through the dryer on hot 3 times, and they're always slightly damp. I have to dry then in the dryer, and then hang them in front of a fan for a full day to get them totally dry.

Make more diapers, that are thinner, and use more than one at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:42 am 

Specialdad,

You might consider some of the advanced absorbent fabrics that have been used in recent years in cloth diapers for infants. Perhaps the newest fabrics are Zorb, Zorb 2, and Zorb 3. Zorb is said to be the fastest absorbing fabric currently available, absorbing fluids 20 times faster than other fabrics and faster even than disposable diapers. Also, it holds up to ten times its weight in pee. In addition to its fast rate of absorption, Zorb also has a higher absorbent capacity than other fabrics. One layer of Zorb can replace two or three layers of cotton, bamboo, or hemp. You would add only one layer of Zorb with your other layers.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm 

John, I never heard of Zorb until you mentioned it. Looking it up it seems to be ideal for us cloth diaper wearers. A diaper could be less bulky and yet absorb much more. And a thicker layer at night would be great for night wettings. Why hasn't the adult cloth diaper industry not seen this? If they start making adult cloth diapers from this I would jump in immediately. Thinner and more absorbency would allow longer periods between diaper changes and make, at least my life, a lot better. As I prefer cloth diapers and wear them 80% or more of the time, this product would fit in wonderfully. I am no hand at sewing but might talk to wife, who can sew, and see if this product could be turned into a better diaper! Would you not think the dealers of cloth (adult) diapers would see the advantage and potential sales in such a diaper? I wonder what the cost is? But that aside, seems like a no brainer! Papa