www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nothing new
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm 

Just keeping the thread alive, since cloth diapers have been the same, more or less, for a century or more, what is there to say? Cotton diapers, diaper pins and plastic/pul pants. Other than the PUL pants it is what it is and is what it always was. They work very well and are comfortable. Papa

Post subject: Re: Nothing new
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 am 

Papa, agreed re nothing really new about cloth diapers themselves. However, at a personal level we all learn new tricks from time to time.

I use a zinc oxide barrier cream, even at night. For a long while I experimented with "cloth-friendly" barriers, such as coconut oil, but they were not as effective for me as zinc oxide. So, I went back to using zinc oxide, even at night.

What I learned to do was to place the booster pad on top of the folded diaper as I would rather get barrier cream on the booster than the main diaper. Then I spread two old handkerchiefs on top of the diaper to keep most of the barrier cream from getting on the booster pad. It is not perfect, but works pretty well and I get no rashes or pre-rash irritation. As I do use bleach when laundering my diapers, the small amount of zinc oxide that gets on the booster or diaper is removed during laundering. :D

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 am 

I guess, for me, the new things about cloth diapers are understanding the differences between gauze, birdseye, and flannel, and how these influence durability and absorbency. Learning how to launder diapers after a fecal accident, coping with diaper rash to avoid the expense of a doctor's appointment, and shaving and pinning are some of the other things that were new to me when I first began to need to use cloth diapers.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm 

Patrick,

I think that any one who is not incontinent cannot understand the rather steep learning curve that is necessary in order to successfully manage severe incontinence.

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:31 pm 

I guess that all medical disabilities require flexibility, a willingness to experiment and learn. We do our best to keep our condition private, out of the public eye. However, this does increase the challenge for us. Although I would welcome support from folks around me, the only way for me to get that support is to risk challenging the stigma, with unpredictable results. It is not a contradiction to say that I wish they knew, but I'm glad they don't.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm 

I like cloth diapers. They work well for me as I have urgency incontinence due to prostate problems. Since I am retired I am home a lot of the time and I can mostly get to my bathroom when I need to. Cloth diapers do not “clump” and I can remove them many times when I need to void. They also work if I do not have enough time to reach the bathroom.

The fact of not “clumping” is why I like cloth.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:56 pm 

I stand, okay I am sitting, corrected. Maybe there is a lot more about cloth diapers that can/should be discussed. Papa

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:53 am 

I can honestly say I love my cloth. Having the hurt shoulder I still can't diaper myself and been there in disposables for almost a month solid. I have already had to order ore because I have been going through them faster then I'm used to. Don't get me wrong, other then two times while I have been out I have leaked and one was because I needed a change and no one was home in time to help me.
I will continue to try to get better so I can diaper myself and get back into my cloth as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 am 

Rope, Healing takes its own time for each of us. When I was dealing with Rotator, broken arm and collar bone I had a pretty useless right arm. Also preferring cloth diapers I was lucky enough to have a very supportive wife and once I got past the embarrassment of her diapering me it went well. I had one good arm and so in the day I struggled with the pain and though it took way more time I could manage to put on disposables, a bit rag tag, but well enough to get by. We both knew that, at night especially, cloth diapers were what worked. So both of us knew what we needed to do. It is part of life, sometimes we need to lean on others, which I rarely do, I am that 'go to guy' for all my family and friends but never ask for help for myself. The busted arm/shoulder though was a case where I had to give in and be helped. It was an interesting time and turned out pretty good once I 'let go'. Papa

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:28 am 

This is a great topic! For those that have always worn cloth diapers are probably very comfortable with wearing the same type of cloth diapers and plastic pants that were around before disposables. I didn't start wearing diapers as an adult until 2003 and didn't get into cloth diapers until 2013ish. I started out with my first cloth diaper being a flat 4 ply diaper, graduated to a prefold then gave contour diapers a shot. I always used plastic pants over my cloth diapers. My wife and I had friends who diapered their kids with a new system called pocket diapers. I was a bit intrigued and found that there wear adult versions of diapers being made. I've had a few made for me by a family friend and I have to say there my go to diaper when I wear cloth. I can add any amount of absorbent prefolds I want, it has snap closers that I can keep nice and snug tight and I use PLU pants with snap closers over the top of the diapers. This combo is very breathable and never have I had a leak. Would highly suggest for anyone to give them a try.