www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nothing new
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 pm 

If you can sew you can make pocket diapers. I found a free pattern on the internet and have made 13 for myself. The patterns come in different sizes so you can make ones that are right for you. The patterns calls for Velcro which give a lot of adjustment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:52 am 

"If you can sew..." But most of us can't. Would be a better diaper all around... absorbency, comfort, design and style/appearance. Oh well. Papa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 pm 

I strongly prefer cloth diapers for reasons of comfort, absorbency, capacity, and long-term economy. Since I wear cloth diapers at home, I figure that my disposable diaper usage is 50-75% less than it would be if I wore disposables 24/7.

I grew up with cloth diapers, trainers, and vinyl covers in the 1970s. When I developed urge incontinence six years ago and saw the long-term cost of disposables, I immediately explored cloth diapering options.

I have used the Snap-EZ pocket diapers at night for nearly five years. With these, I use the gauze inserts from Adult Cloth Diaper. While I typically don't wet the bed at night, it is not unusual for me to have an urge wetting (moderately heavy) on my way to the bathroom when I get up in the morning. I have never experienced any leaks. Everything washes up great and odor doesn't build up (I use hot water, All- or Sun-brand free & clear detergent, Purex 2 or Clorox 2 color-safe bleach, and 20 Mule Team Borax, along with a double rinse, when laundering them). Since I have to use the snap extenders to make them larger, they are too bulky to wear away from home, but they are great at home. The snaps and PUL are very durable, and the microfleece inner lining is very comfortable and wicks the wetness away from the skin and into the gauze insert.

I agree that there is a lot of "trial and error" associated with cloth. For example, flannel doesn't work well for urge flooders since it is slow to absorb. Gauze is great, but availability seems to be limited to flat and prefold diapers that require pins. I have fairly poor dexterity in my hands, so I can't manipulate diaper pins. Thus, flat and prefold diapers were out for me. Most pull-ups are made from flannel: the ones I tried didn't work due to slow absorption. I have yet to find a pull-up, Velcro, or snap diaper in gauze.