www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 am 

Hi all, in a few weeks I will be visiting the US. For me these trips give me the opportunity to buy incontinence material in the US and stock up plastic pants etc. for the coming year. I'm considering to buy a prefold diaper as I use on a regular basis reusable diapers during the night. Reading the reviews on what type to buy I'm a bit confused. Are all types equal in quality? Do they absorb the same? What type do you prefer? Where should I buy it? Thanks for your help.
Cheers Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:01 am 

Hi Bob,

The differences are small but each has it own group of avid fans. All fabrics absorb about the same - the difference is insignificant. Gauze may absorb the fastest and flannel the slowest as it is the densest. A bigger issue may be how difficult it is for you to force a pin through the fabric. Gauze is the easiest and flannel the hardest. Once wet, gauze may sag a bit more than the others. Personally, I prefer birdseye fabric prefolds. Birdseye is a nice compromise. :D

Some users like velcro fasteners, but they can make laundering more difficult and can clog with diaper lint. They also restrict your ability to get the best fit for your shape. With pins I get the perfect fit every time. However, I had to experiment with different folds a few times before I got that right.

I buy all my cloth diapers from AdultClothDiaper.com. Their prices are competitive and their service has been great. Delivery can take 10 days to about two weeks, so you will need to allow for that.

I get the Leakmaster brand in heavy weight for night use. I also buy large and heavy cloth booster pads. In the morning I do not want to have to rush to change a wet cloth diaper before having my morning coffee. With my combination I have no difficulty wearing my cloth diaper for 11 hours before I have to change.

A word of advice, buy only one diaper at first. I found that I needed a larger size than the charts indicated. There will be the usual small shrinkage and I found that I needed more width to permit more overlap of the wings. That also made it easier to fasten the diaper.

Of course you will need plastic pants sized for a large cloth diaper. Again, you may need to get a size larger than what you at first think you need. I like the Hi-back no-wick PUL pants from Fetware/Driwear. The more generous cut of the hi-back pants ensures that you will have no problems completely covering all of the fabric from the cloth diaper. If even a small bit of fabric pokes out, it will wick onto your sheets at night.

When wearing a cloth diaper, your skin will be exposed to the wet cloth for hours. Depending on your skin sensitivity, you may need to apply some form of barrier lotion or cream.

Laundering cloth diaper requires a learning curve to get it right. I recommend that you take the time to read the older posts where you will find several different approaches. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:19 pm 

Although I second everything that JD wrote, let me add a few things. Depending on how you decide to pay, you may have to wait a little longer than you might expect, to give the folks at ACD time for your check to clear. My fear of putting my charge card data online forces me to place my order with a cashier's check, which always clears immediately. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 pm 

Personally, I prefer birdseye. I am allergic to every disposable I have come across.