www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What problem?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm 

I keep reading post after post about the problems of failing (disposable) diapers, especially at night. Since I "bit the bullet" and doubled up with night weight cloth diapers I have NEVER had a leak. I sleep sound and never doubt that my diapers will perform as they should. I get up, early, come down and for 2-4 hours read the news, email and drink my coffee and enjoy the mornings before going up to shower and start the day. It took me years to finally realize that diapers were a permeant thing in my life and being so I had to get over the "taboo" that diapers, especially thick cloth diapers and plastic pants were somehow "off limits." I feel bad for those who are still searching for something that "works". Papa

Post subject: Re: What problem?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:30 pm 

Amen. I did have my share of accidents when I first started using washables; the learning curve was steep. And, later, when I began having bowel accidents that forced me to change my pinning pattern. Not any more. Morning coffee? My protection is up to the task. A bowel release while I'm asleep? That too. Clearly, for me, washables are the way to go when I'm at home. I reserve disposables for travel. And, especially at night, disposables have given me enough grief in strange hotel rooms that my sleep is disturbed. I need the protection that washables provide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:45 am 

I've used cloth, but I hate the washing, and care. The absorbency is great of course,, but the rest of it is something that doesn't work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 am 

Right on, Papa, and "amen" to cloth diapers. There is nothing like sound sleep and waking up to a dry bed.

I enjoy not having to rush to change a soggy disposable diaper the very first thing when I wake up. With cloth I can enjoy that morning cup of coffee and even get a little work in before I need to change and shower. :D

Re laundering cloth diapers, yes, it can be a chore. I found that it required some experimentation to get laundering right for me as several variables are involved. However, once I found the right "formula," I never have had to strip my diapers.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:56 pm 

I used to use two (4 layers each) leakmaster cloth diaper prefolds, with contoured PUL pants. Once ever week or so they would leak on me from just being too soaked. Of course I stay extremely well hydrated, and also sleep on my side. After a couple of months I noticed the extra layers were hurting my hips. I tried getting a custom contoured, 4 layer plus zorb inner core, but after spending my money on it I got something back from etsy that I couldn't even wear.

Eventually I went back to disposables (confidry24/7), but also tried using baby diaper boosters. I cup them over my member, then diaper up. The baby diaper works well to absorb my initial flood, and the cupping works well to redirect my flow back towards the center of my diaper, while my diaper then slowly absorbs the over soaked baby diaper. At which I then repeat at least once or twice more during the night, which still lasts me all night.