www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:33 pm 

Hi,

For a number of reasons which i wont go into here i decided to switch from disposable to cloth/re-usable diapers, which i did with a certain amount of success, but I found cloth diapers very expensive and, in some cases uncomfortable, and in short I decided to use my modest sewing skills and make my own.

The ones I made still require the use of waterproof outer layer over them, i did consider a PUL outer layer but haven't gotten around to it, and they fasten with buttons, i found velcro not to be secure enough and could be uncomfortable against the skin, I also prefer the way they look.

I would be very interested in hearing what people think, I have used these with great success over the past few months.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/barretcait/P_20160916_195630_zpsrb0asefq.jpg?118

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:50 pm 

I too have made my own cloth diaper. The pattern and instructions are free. Just go to:

http://www.kaylasclothkits.com/

Then scroll down to fine:

KCK One-One Size Fits all Diaper Pattern (larger sizes)

This will allow you to down load a PDF file with instructions and a printable pattern. You will need to print the pattern and then tape the pages together to make a full size diaper pattern. If you can use a sewing machine you can make your own diaper. I found the two types of fabric that is needed on Amazon.

My advice is to read the instructions several times to be sure you understand them. When I did my first diaper I made some mistakes and had to rip a seam or two. The second one was done without any problems. Like all things once you know how it is easy. I plan to make more in the future.

Even with a layer of PUL fabric I found the I need to wear vinyl pants with them.

If anyone knows how to make vinyl pants please post a link.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 pm 

I'm impressed. They look well made and comfortable. Do you fasten them on one side, then do the other side after you put them on? I have residual motor skills limitations due to a stroke, and I use pull-ups because diapers are difficult for me to fasten. Also, do you change immediately after a wetting? They appear not to have any wicking material. btw, your sewing skills are far beyond modest. Great job.

W.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:36 am 

Wetters wrote:
I'm impressed. They look well made and comfortable. Do you fasten them on one side, then do the other side after you put them on? I have residual motor skills limitations due to a stroke, and I use pull-ups because diapers are difficult for me to fasten. Also, do you change immediately after a wetting? They appear not to have any wicking material. btw, your sewing skills are far beyond modest. Great job.

W.

Thanks for the feedback!I do fasten them on one side and then pull them up, but depending on how fitted they are I can pull some of them up while fastened. I do not change them immediately after wetting, some of them have wicking material in the core, but even without that they seem to do fine for long term wear, that was my goal with these, but they are a lot thicker than equivalent disposables :(

Quote:
I too have made my own cloth diaper. The pattern and instructions are free. Just go to:

http://www.kaylasclothkits.com/

Then scroll down to fine:

KCK One-One Size Fits all Diaper Pattern (larger sizes)

This will allow you to down load a PDF file with instructions and a printable pattern. You will need to print the pattern and then tape the pages together to make a full size diaper pattern. If you can use a sewing machine you can make your own diaper. I found the two types of fabric that is needed on Amazon.

My advice is to read the instructions several times to be sure you understand them. When I did my first diaper I made some mistakes and had to rip a seam or two. The second one was done without any problems. Like all things once you know how it is easy. I plan to make more in the future.

Even with a layer of PUL fabric I found the I need to wear vinyl pants with them.

If anyone knows how to make vinyl pants please post a link.

I had the same experience with PUL fabric, hence me not using it here, it seemed wasteful :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:51 am 

Yeah those look great. I tried a pre-made pull on with elastic once. While thicker than a disposable it absorbed less overall, and the elastic always felt too tight. Making them yourself I bet you've got them fitted just right.

I like the idea of buttons too (or velcro). Better than pins by far, and easier to change. Good job!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm 

Sewing a button on is almost beyond me, I built shopping centers, etc. for a living, it would take me as long to sew the same diaper you probably did in no time. Good work though. Papa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:34 am 

I did the same. I make my to pin on (they were too think for the snap gun to work). It's nice to be able to make them to spec.