www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with the Nappynex (http://www.bambinex.com/en/new-sense-fr ... ce-nappies) brand of cloth adult-diapers? I've been contemplating getting some of them as I'm only an occasional wetter and in the long run cloth is a cheaper option than disposables. How discreet, comfortable and wearable are they and how secure is the velcro-belt used for fastening? Is it suitable for an active person at all? Really new to this cloth-diaper business and have no experience whatsoever. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:05 am 

No experience with Nappynex, but similar products usually are satisfactory for light incontinence. The Velcro-type fasteners usually are quite secure. Do note that with Nappynex your absorbency is in the crotch and not in the sides. If you are a side sleeper that would give you little protection. The product seems designed more for daytime use.

Although your bedwetting is "occasional," the more important question is "how often and how much do you pee at night." The Nappynex might not take two full wettings and hold it without leaking.

However, for night use (I am a bedwetter, sleep on my side, and use cloth diapers), you would have better results from a regular night-weight adult cloth diaper with plastic pants or PUL pants on top. :D I fasten my cloth diaper with pins as I achieve a tighter fit than with a Velcro-type fastener.

If you get the Nappynex, please let us know how it works for you.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:47 am 

I have not had good luck with all in one cloth diapers. The outer waterproof layer needs a light laundering and hung dry, while the interior lining needs heavier wash and drying cycles. Do either one and the other part will not last as long as it should.

I've also had problems with the velcro wanting to peel back some, and when active it catches on my pants and gets peeled loose. (Though this only seems to happen after I've used them for a couple of months).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:38 am 

Brian is right, All in Ones are not what to wear if you are going to use cloth diapers. Cloth diaper wearing is not rocket science, it is rectangular cotton (make sure it is 100% cotton) of sufficient thickness (day/night) that you spread out and make a simple fold at the center, lay on it, pin it on and pull on a pair of plastic pants. (You can also put them on standing up against a wall if you are normally mobile) DONE! Simple and easy. Good for day and excellent at night. Not good for traveling for more than one night. Relax! Controlling our situation over rides our thinking too often. Holding a diaper in our hands that we are going to put on, and use, seems to muddle our common sense. OH NO! I am wearing diapers! It is understandable I know but after a while (that while is different for each person) it becomes just another part of our life. YES YES it can still drive us nuts at times, but, mostly we put them on and off we go. Take a deep breath and focus on all the rest of life, not your diapers. Papa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:36 am 

May I add to the excellent advice, above?

Another difficulty with Velcro diaper fasteners is that they cannot be adjusted. Pin-style diapers can be fastened and unfastened, then fastened again, as often as necessary to get a reliable fit. Velcro fasteners cannot be moved; either they fit, or they leak.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 am 

Hey, thanks for your input regarding this matter! Very good points about the "pros and cons". I'll consider about those different cloth-options.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:08 pm 

I had the chance to try cloth diapers from a company called Drymed, as its launched their products on the Dutch market at the time and offered a limited trial to a Dutch use group. Although the fitting was quite comfortable, I (and some others, according to the test results) found them a bit too thick to wear during the day compared to what I use as disposable. During the night I experienced some leakage, not that dramatic, but less fail proof than again the disposables I wear.
The main downside was the washing, as I am a regular wetter during the night and episodic during the day it would require a lot of washing (a least more washes than I normally would do). In terms of sustainability that would outweigh the benefits of wearing cloth.