www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Getting started
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am 

You're either putting the diaper on too tight, or getting too big a bight of material in the pin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:30 pm 

Thank you guys for all of the helpful information. I had the good fortune of a gentleman contacting me privately and I found that private communication was a bit more comfortable. With his help, I was offered advice on how to layer, fold, and pin a cloth diaper. I also got advice on shopping and purchased better pins, plastic pants, and diaper inserts. My goal was better night protection and dry sheets. I didn't expect the my comfort level to increase so much. I had a few minor leaks at first (very heavy night wetter) but as I got better I've eliminated them.

I am still amazed at how much more comfortable I am. Freshly laundered cloth is infinitely more comfortable than paper and plastic. I have taken to using a cloth diaper not only at night, but also at home, including all day, when I have no plans. And on several occasions I have worn them outside for informal events when baggy clothing was appropriate.

There are two words I thought I would never use in my adult life - "incontinence" and "diaper." I can deal with the first, but I'm still having problems with the second. Sure, I've been using "protective underwear" but with cloth, pins, and plastic pants, make no mistake about it - it's a diaper. When I catch myself in front of a mirror, with no trousers, I still feel my face flush with embarrassment. Even writing these words is very humbling.

Despite this confession, and all of my reservations, I have found that a cloth diaper is in some way comforting - something I don't understand but I sense others have had the same experience. I find this even more embarrassing.

Over the next few months I will be adding to my supplies. I tried both Birdseye and gauze, and definitely have a preference for the gauze fabric. It is so soft and fluffy and incredibly comfortable, even when wet. I also appreciate greatly reducing my trash and more than doubling the life span of a case of disposables.

One other note - I read about the uncomfortable bulk of a cloth diaper but this was not an issue for me. I was already using a thick padded disposable brief and over the years become adept at concealing it with oversized clothing. Sure the diaper is bulky but not uncomfortable and it offers superior protection.

I will be returning on occasion to this forum for the ton of information that is available but I value my privacy and anonymity and wish to be an infrequent poster. Thank you all for sharing your advice, experience, and gentle support. I appreciate it so much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:32 pm 

Jason, I understand the privacy need, I also, after 13 years, still guard my own privacy. Other than doctors and my wife no one knows I wear diapers. That you will be not here means you have found a solid means of dealing with your incontinence. That comforting feeling you have wearing cloth diapers is mostly the feeling of security and finding something that actually can be depended on and is comfortable. We all began our time in diapers searching for "The perfect product" none exist of course but when we come close we find a serenity and calm that helps us relax. Good luck and come back as your needs require. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 pm 

Jason, I get where you're coming from. I'm happy that you got some useful information here, and I hope that this forum will continue to be a reliable source for you as needed. I'm also happy that cloth is working well for you.

I, too, have taken steps to reduce my exposure here. I will likely continue to provide birthday and other well wishes, and also express concerns about members whom I know are struggling, but I likely won't provide any more input than that.

Best wishes,
Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:22 pm 

Papa and wetters - thank you for this feedback; it is reassuring. I had resisted cloth diapers (oh I hate that word) for so long and now they seem, like the porridge, just right.

How quickly one forgets. I spent the last two nights at a beachfront hotel. This ruled out cloth diapers. Last night, I slept in a confidry 24/7 brief with an Abrilet booster, over which I wore jockey briefs, sweat pants, and a t-shirt. Since I was sharing the room, I thought this would be discreet and effective. I was wrong on the effective part as I awoke with wet jockey briefs, wet sweat pants, and a wet t-shirt tail. Fortunately I was the first one up and I cranked up the air conditioning and dried out the sheets. Thankfully the spot on the sheet was minor and the sweatpants, briefs, and t-shirt contained most of the leak. Before using cloth diapers at night, I would have leaks like this several times a week. I am now keeping a waterproof bed pad in my luggage as a reminder to be extra careful when I travel.

BTW - what the hell is porridge? Is it something only bears eat?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 pm 

Oatmeal???

W.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:42 pm 

You might try something other than confidry 24/7 Jason. They leaked consistsntly on me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 am 

I have used cloth diapers for years and would never look back at disposables. Babykins 7 mil vinyl pants work great and a great deal from Canada too. As for diapers,love my 2-4-2 prefolds from ADC. They last forever and work well all night too.