www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:05 pm 

I noticed that AdultClothDiaper.com has their LeakMaster Adult Contoured Diaper Version 2 on sale through April. I'm considering trying one, but I have a few questions:
*Does anyone have any experience with this diaper? If so:
*How did it perform and how long did it last before wearing out?
*Has anyone used this diaper with Snappis rather than pins? (My thought is to use two Snappis per side, after cutting off the third leg of each Snappi so that they are straight elastic bands, allowing the diaper to be snug at the waist and at the legs).
*Is the sizing chart (which shows approximate dimensions after laundering) accurate?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:53 pm 

Mike,

Leakmasters perform well. :D

Don't get a contour cloth diaper for use at night as it will not perform well, particularly if sleeping on your side. Contour diapers are better for daytime activities when you want a more discreet diaper.

I use Leakmaster prefolds for both day and night. I wear night-weight prefolds at night, usually with an additional day-weight diaper or one to two cloth booster pads. During the day at home I often continue to wear a night-weight prefold. If leaving the house I will wear a day-weight prefold.

Gauze or birdseye material will be more comfortable than flannel, will absorb faster, will be easier to pin, and will dry much faster in the dryer.

Others in our group have said that they get a year or more out of their cloth diapers and then continue to use them as boosters with newer diapers.

Can't comment on Snappi but would like to try it. Some have said that it works well with gauze but not so well with the denser flannel material.

Remember, you MUST wear plastic pants with cloth diapers! Your plastic pants for your disposables may not fit over the bulkier cloth diapers, especially when they are wet.

Good luck!

--John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:19 pm 

In addition to the advice, above, which is excellent, may I add a bit of advice about Velcro (hook and loop) closures? Unlike pins, Velcro closures cannot be moved. If they are even slightly off, trouble can ensue. If they're too loose, you may have leakage; if they're too tight, they will be uncomfortable. Pins can be moved, loosened or tightened, as needed for a precise fit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the info and the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm 

Mike,

Did you ever buy the Leakmaster contoured cloth diapers? I am thinking of trying some for day use and could benefit from your experience with them.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:36 am 

Mike, Never used a contour cloth diaper but the regular Leak Master cloth diapers will easily last two or three years. Of course it helps if you have a good supply of diapers, and, rotate them. Where John uses a day and night weight diapers for night, I use two night weigh diapers to sleep in. Since I started using that combo I have NEVER had a leak. I wear medium size diapers but ordered large the last time I ordered diapers. They are much larger than I need but the extra bulk almost equals two Mediums. Pinning them on the ends touch in the front and cover the sides better than Med diapers. Where I can often pin my diapers on standing up against a wall with the Large I have to lay down to diaper up, which gives a better fit with all diapers, cloth and disposable. I assume you are not new to cloth diapers and just want to try something new - that perpetual search for something different, new or exciting. As John said- let us know how you find the contour diapers work out. Papa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 pm 

I've used them. I found they were better for me with my side sleeping than the prefolds or the pullups. I used two diapers/layers at once which was plenty to prevent any leaks.

With the prefolds, most material ends up between your legs, and doubling up on this kind will make it impossibly thick in the middle while just right on the sides.

With their pullup version I found the elastic was too tight and the bands around the elastic were too thick and hard. Trying to double up one of those would have been extremely uncomfortable so I never tried it.

Going back to the contoured diapers puts the same amount of material on the sides as they do between the legs. Doubling up on them still keeps the material balanced and therefore more comfortable to sleep in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 pm 

I should mention though, the contoured cut is too rounded at the legs. When pinned on there is an annoying lack of material right above the legs, but plenty at the waist. They should be contoured and cut more like how a disposable is shaped, which would greatly improve their performance for side sleepers (probably wouldn't need to double up on them if they did this), and I'm sure it would also be much more comfortable laying on the side too. But alas, I must be the only one who believes this.

I contacted llmedical about this and got the brush off. I then tried having a custom contoured diaper made by someone on etsy. They completely screwed up my order and refused to refund my money ($60 for just one!). I pretty much gave up on cloth diapers after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:01 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Mike,

Did you ever buy the Leakmaster contoured cloth diapers? I am thinking of trying some for day use and could benefit from your experience with them.

--John

Sorry about the very long delay in following up, as I've been very busy with work.

I ended up not buying the LeakMaster contour cloth diapers. My original plan was to use Snappis in lieu of pins (my hand dexterity isn't very good), but the Snappi manufacturer discontinued the larger of the two sizes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:33 am 

Mike,

A friend of mine who has been incontinent for many years wears cloth and has had great success with using the new Boingo fasteners. They may require less dexterity than the Snappi. He uses 4 Boingo fasteners in place of 4 pins.

--John