Switch to full style
If you have traveled Internationally and have learned of a recommended store, even in Canada, Please post.
Post a reply

Diapers in Central America?

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:28 am

All: I will most likely be traveling to Central America later this year and wanted to know what kind of disposable diaper options are available down there. Specifically, I would be hitting up Mexico (the capital), Costa Rica, and Panama.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions, suppliers would be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Diapers in Central America?

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm

I know that you could buy diapers in the markets in Costa Rica, but last time I was there was before my bedwetting returned, so I don't remember what the brands were, or how effective any of them might be.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:58 pm

ILuvLA,

I cannot advise you re diapers in Central America. Because of that, during your next trip, if the opportunity presents itself, try to get some specific information for us and photos if possible.

--John

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:59 am

JD: Will do!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:00 am

I don't travel abroad, but if you not going to be gone for months, why not take an extra large suitcase full of disposables with you on the trip. I did a little traveling last Dec. and learned there was no additional luggage cost for a "medical suitcase" that was used to transport medical supplies such as diapers, pad, or anything else related to my wellbeing. The only requirement the airline had was 100% of the storage contained used (extra suitcase) MUST only contain medical related items so I could not mix extra clothing in the same suitcase I had identified as a "medical suitcase". If I recall correctly, there was no max weight allowed for a medical suitcase, but it MUST contain ONLY medical related items such as diapers. I was gone for about a week, and at 4 changes per day, I took 28 diapers, plus a few extra and had all of them packed in one suitcase. I'm sure a duffel bag would hold more and could be used if you were going to be away from home more than 2, or 3 weeks.

When in doubt about the availability of "quality" disposables diapers being available in your travel, I would just take my own either in a suitcase, or a large duffel bag. AS long as I used my medical suitcase for the purpose intended the airline didn't try to charge be for that extra bag/suitcase. Medical suitcase's travel for FREE.

I would recommend you contact the airline ahead of time to inquire about their "medical bag/suitcase" policy, and any restrictions that may apply. Depending on the duration of your trip, taking a medical suitcase full of diapers might be your best solution since the medical suitcase can travel for FREE as long as you do NOT add non-medical in the suitcase.

It's worth a phone call to the airline to find out more specifics.

Hope this helps.

John

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:14 am

Hi John, the policy re baggage with medical items varies from carrier to carrier. Unfortunately, most define medical items as durable medical equipment like CPAPS, mobility aids, etc. I have been turned down before on bags with only diapers. I usually take a separate duffel bag containing only diapers with me and have to pay for it.

Also, some of us sometimes travel for so long at a time that a separate suitcase just is not enough. Then we must consider resupplying locally.

--John

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:54 am

I spend part of my winters in Cozumel and as for diaper selection they always have Abriform M4s and the always useless depend for men. As for travelling with I agree a separate duffel bag is always easiest. I always chuckle a bit during boarding when the see my supplies of diapers. They always look at Kathy and ask automatically thinking they are her diapers.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Hola DJC,

As many travelers pass through Cozumel, could you please give us some information about buying diapers in Cozumel - and elsewhere in Mexico. What specific stores? What brands are carried? Have you tried out any of the domestic (Central America, South America) brands diapers?

Gracias,

--John
Post a reply