www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what brands in Greece?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:57 am 

Hi,

I'm travelling to Greece this summer and wil bring my own supplies with me, since I don't want to take a risk, but I was wondering what adult diapers are available in Greece (mainland)?
If there is a local brand that is recommendable I might try. I currently use the Tena Flex S Super and Maximum, I like the waistband-style diaper because of my waist-hip ratio. With tape on diapers an S is usually to tight in the groin/hip while an M has way too much fabric in the waist area. Maybe in Greece they have some other diaper that will fit my fjgure?

Oh, and any other tips on fit/style are welcome as well!

Thank you,
Lady CIO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am 

Hi Lady CIO,

they have often parts of the Tena range in bigger super markets. More over they have some kind of "store brands" - but be careful - they often have a smaller size then the german once (for me a German M is a Greece L - so it's a good idea to check the waist measurement that normally printed on the pack...). Moreover I would say the store brands are not that good at all. My Experience is restricted to Santorini, Kreta, Korfu and Athen. I did't take that much supplies with me and bought also Tena Flex over there (I only saw the super and normal versions as well as slips and pants). So if you really need the Maximum version it might be an idea to take that with you. It might be hard to get something with this absorption capabilities over there easily. Maybe in a bigger pharmacy - but I'd never tried to get ones there because I don't need them. To be honest I was pretty happy with the Tena Flex - also for the night. It was better for me to change in the night the if things went wrong as to wear such a big package. I hate air conditioning in the night and with 30° C in the hotel room I was happy about ever piece of cloth that I could left of ;-)...

What might be important is bed protection. The hotels bed's are normally not equipped with mattress protection and it's also often not available on request. I took my own PU sheets with me what saved me a lot of trouble. If you book in advance it might be an idea to check that issue with your traveling agency - maybe they can help better. For us this was not an option, because we love to travel on our own and look for the best places to stay locally.

Just one more think: It is easy and cheap to travel in Greece by bus - how ever, we normally also rent a car, because the bigger supermarkets are not necessarily next to the hotel and a car gives you much more freedom of choice to visit the nice places where and whenever you want. This is also an advantage if you looking for beaches that are not that crowded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:09 pm 

thank you Michael!

I haven't experienced any leaks overnight with the Tena Flex, but will still bring matress protection beside more than enough diapers (I would be horrified if I wet the bed, we're staying at a small appartment complex and the owners are like family to my parents :oops: ).

For me it's the first time travelling (besides short business trips) in this condition. I used to get by with some pads and always pullups, so I need to adjust to this new configuration.
I'm currently living in Holland (we're expats) and the Tena Small goes up to 87 cm, is that similar to the German version?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:46 pm 

Hi Lady CIO,

I think the Tena's have the same size all over Europe and also the SMLXL scheme is same. That ones that differ are the greek own brands. My impression was that say are all one size smaller compared to the Tena. How ever the Tena's that you will get there, are the same that you will get in the Netherlands or in Germany - maybe with the exception that you may find some Tena Slip products that still have the plastic backed version that are also still available in the Netherlands but not in Germany anymore.

If you decide to bring in all your supplies it might be a good idea to check with the airline beforehand if they will transport the extra luggage for free. Normally they will do this if you show them a medical certificate. How ever - keep in mind that you maybe have to transport all this luggage by yourself at last from the baggage claim to the taxi or bus... It might be also an option to send the supplies ahead but at last from germany this is pretty expensive because you have to send it by express (e.g. UPS) with the "normal" post you never know when it will arrive...

I hope you enjoy your vacation there. I really love greece, the people are so kind there and it's also so much to see then just beach. Don't miss a trip to the Meteora Monasteries if you can - this is really great to see https://www.visitmeteora.travel/the-meteora-monasteries/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:49 pm 

Thanks again everyone, we had a great vacation. I brought my own supplies, but was posivtively surprised by what the supermarkets had in stock as well. Tena and Seni were well available (but not the tena flex, which I prefer), even in little towns (the lokal "Katerina Supermarket" on the Peleponese/Mani is great!).
On beach days I just wore a bikini. I have some control, and taking a dip in the sea every hour is something I would do anyways. On the days we went touring I wore the flex, or a pull up depending on the timeframe and wheather or not it would be rocky roads. Most roads turned out to be rocky, so I had a lot of spasms. In the evenings an always discreet boutique under a summerdress when we went out for dinner, and took a change with my in my purse. Night time just like at home a Flex, but one with little more capacity than usual. This was because of the anticipation to drinking some retsina or tsipouro, and just to be on the safe side. No leaks occured, also I slept lighter than usual and woke up once a night to go to the toilet. Maybe because of the strange environment I was a bit more aware. Anyways it didn't interfer with enough rest.

I divided my diapers and pull ups in all 3 suitcases we took with us, and returning home we used that extra space for souvenirs 8)

And.... in Greece you have no trouble trowing the diapers away, there were bins in the stalls on every toilet (mostly because they usually don't flush the toiletpaper, and ask you to throw used paper in the bin :oops: ) But this is quite handy and I guess a positive change for gentlemen with incontinece problems. My husband joked that if he was to become incontinent he would move to Greece because of this. Downside is usually less privacy when it cames to sound, because of gaps on bottom and top of most of the stall doors, or because not all doors have a (working) lock.

The other downside was the heat, but with enough changes and linnen dresses it was doable. I think we will return to Greece, and my anxiety about travelling for longer that just a business trip with regards to being incontinent has vanished

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm 

Great to here that you enjoyed your vacation in Greece and lost your fear of traveling longer. I really love this country for its people, the sun and the see. And it’s good to here that you managed the supply problem :-). It interesting to hear that the stores changed there diaper portfolio :-) Seni wasn’t available when I was there. Sad to hear that they have no Tena Flex anymore I prefer flex style diapers also, but with your three suitcases it sounds like also that wasn’t a problem at all :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 pm 

michael_dahlke wrote:
Great to here that you enjoyed your vacation in Greece and lost your fear of traveling longer. I really love this country for its people, the sun and the see. And it’s good to here that you managed the supply problem :-). It interesting to hear that the stores changed there diaper portfolio :-) Seni wasn’t available when I was there. Sad to hear that they have no Tena Flex anymore I prefer flex style diapers also, but with your three suitcases it sounds like also that wasn’t a problem at all :-)

oops! I see I made a type-o, I meant Sani instead of Seni. Sani looked like more like a local brand, haven't seen those before. I didn't buy them, but now I regret that because the description was good (for sensitive skin, with aloe vera). I was surprised by the broad spectrum the brand covered!

Maybe next year if I come across these I will buy them (yes, definitely returning to Greece next year!)