www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diuretics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm 

Hello guys,
After my little stressful episode my blood pressure has not been coming back down and has been in the neighborhood of 160/110. The doctor is trying out a few different things and right now he has me on hydrochlorothiazide which is a diuretic. My question is to those that have had to manage incontinence and take meds like this, will hour body adjust to where you won't flood your diaper as bad as when you first start taking it? My first day I needed up having a fairly good leak and it kind of stressed me out.

Any input would be appreciated

Rope

Post subject: Re: Diuretics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:07 pm 

After nearly a lifetime of low blood pressure, mine too has climbed to dangerous levels. Because my leakage is a continual dribble, I probably have less difficulty with it than folks who flood at unpredictable intervals. Other than wearing cloth washables, which may be impossible at work, my guess is that wearing a premium diaper, checking it frequently, and wearing a polyurethane or PUL over pant would be the policy to begin with. Good luck and report back when you can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm 

I started hydrochlorothiazide about a year ago.... maybe longer. I recall the drug having no effect on me, good or bad, other than doing a great job controlling my slightly high BP. Flooding has been and continues to be an unresolved issue for me but I continue to avoid the drugs. They work pretty well but leave me spaced out, hyper, dry mouthed, and affect my BP....
It’s all about quality of life. Taking some of those drugs are Awful!!!

Last edited by Ellyn on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm 

Sorry. I shouldn't have said flood. I too leak all the time. I'm just frustrated because my diaper takes such a beating and not quite use to wetting that much in that short of a time. I just want to know if this will be the norm or will it slow to a more manageable amount.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:38 pm 

Hi
Again, I didn’t notice any slowdown in leakage when I started the meds. I leak as much as I ever did and occasionally flood, but flooding occasions seem to occur more often. Seems the older I get, the less control I have and the more often I flood. Honestly, at this point I’d be happier with the slow constant leak, but those days of consistency have left me, for now.
I wish you better results!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:04 pm 

A little off topic but as one of my new years resolutions I started a low-carb diet (didn't we all go on a diet?). Within a day or two of starting I noticed that I was leaking and flooding way more than normal. Instead of using my usual mid level around-the-house daytime diaper I've had to switch to premiums just to keep up. And instead of my usual bedwetting of maybe once or twice a week it's been every night and resulting in a totally soaked insert pad and premium diaper. No leaks but what a difference!

At first I was alarmed and blamed it on my increased water intake. But just to make sure I went online and found that it's not only salt that tends to make the body retain water but "bad" carbs (the high glycemic index ones) also greatly affect water retention.

Now after three weeks the quantity of leaks/floods have reduced a bit but still quite a bit more than I was used to pre-diet. Nighttime wettings have backed down to 3-5 times a week and thankfully the quantity is down a bit too. Has anyone else noticed a change in diet affecting their incontinence?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:13 pm 

Yes! I think you’re on to something!
I went to my family doctor before thanksgiving for a yearly checkup and he found my blood sugar was somewhat high. He prescribed Metformin to help with lowering the number for a few months (4 mo), along with cutting sugars and carbs. He also talked about exercise, but took that off the table when I explained what my daily activities include... Also my weight is actually on the low end for my (short) height and build so I can’t afford to lose a lot of weight.
Anyway, we took a trip to visit relatives over Christmas and I had nothing but problems! This may help connect some dots. I going to try increasing my carbs a little (yum!!).
Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 am 

If you have an elevated blood pressure it can lead to a LOT of problems. (Heart, eyes, legs. stroke to name a few). My advice is to wear your diaper and keep you blood pressure normal. High blood pressure can kill you! Do not worry about your incontinence.

Just my two cents worth, from a retired registered nurse.