www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urinary Sphincterotomy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:18 pm 

So for those who know me, I've had a whopping SIX urinary sphincterotomies. I posted a bit about it here.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2548&hilit=sphincterotomy

Well guess what, it's time for round seven! I'm at my pre-op appt now, and will have the surgery this Thursday the 2nd.

My doc is going to use a green laser on me this time instead of the usual hot knife. It's supposed to let him cut deeper with less bleeding. We're hoping to finish blowing away my internal sphincter and finally open me up. And god I hope this is the last one....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:37 pm 
Admin

Hi Brian

:(
Its a bummer that you have to go through this again and I sure hope that this one is the last one that you will have to go through.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:13 am 

Hi Brian

I hope this is the last time you have to go through the surgery and that you have a speedy recovery.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 pm 

Add my best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. I've only had one sphincterotomy, and I do not want another one. Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 pm 

Brian, best wishes for a non-eventful procedure, a favorable outcome, and a quick and complete recovery. I hope they get it right this time and no complications like last time.

W.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 pm 

Here's to a quick recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:08 am 

Thanks again everybody. I'm heading in now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:01 pm 

Good luck, Brian. Hope it goes alright.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm 

Well that was interesting. The doc told my wife he cut into me like I was wanting, which was a deep radial cut in my internal sphincter to completely blow it away. However, I have NO bleeding, and NO real pain down there! Heck, my throat is more sore from the breathing tube than my urethra is.

I can also confirm I have very sensitive feeling down there too. My doc did do a linear cut on my internal sphincter once, using the hot knife (which ultimately did not work very well). It hurt and I bled for well over a month, and I had a had time sitting down or transitioning from siting to standing (and vice versa). It's possible this difference is because of him using a green laser this time, but it is not what I've been forced to go through every other time.

I have to say I am elated it was a mostly easy surgery for once (and that I didn't die on the table like last time too), but also kind of pissed for what I had to go through before for the same surgeries. There was one big catch this time though. I had previously asked for anti-nausea meds for my post op recovery. However, when I woke up I was really dizzy and threw up (only a little stomach acid). I was then able to eat a gram cracker and drink some apple juice. On the way home it wall all I could do not to throw up again. As soon as we stopped at the pharmacy for my new meds I beelined it to the restroom and lost it all. Anyways, the anaesthesiologist did say he brought me out of it very slowly instead of the usual speedy wake up. This too might have played a part in my bad nausea.

Lesson learned then. If anyone ever needs to get a sphincterotomy done, absolutely insist on getting it done using a green laser. Also make sure the anaesthesiologist wakes you up fast afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:47 pm 

Thank you for that report. I was glad to read that the green laser was so effective and patient friendly.