www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

Brian
Glad the surgery went well and you are not in pain like the last times hopefully youmwill have a quicker recovery

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 am 

I'm glad the procedure went well. Sorry you got sick from the anesthesia (I've had that happen, too). How long is your expected healing time, and how long will it take to determine if the surgery accomplished what you and the doc intended? Anyway, glad that you're okay.

W.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:29 am 

Wetters, Based on my past surgeries it will take about a week or two before things calm down enough to even get an idea of what the outcome is. First I still have a catheter in, which I take out Monday morning. After that, it takes a week or two for the sphincters (and usually bleeding) to calm down enough to get that initial idea of how much I'll be freely draining or still retaining.

The remaining muscle and urethral lining will take 1 to 2 months to fully close back up again. During this time my voiding can change a little more, so ultimately I won't know for sure for another couple of months. Of course, it will take a good 3 or more months to fully finish healing the rest of the way. (don't fly before this either, I made that mistake once and ouch).

At least that's all based on my past surgeries, which were much harder on me from the start. I'm honestly not sure it will take that long for me to fully heal this time as I am already well ahead of the curve. I can already sit and get up without too much discomfort, let alone any pain. And this is without even needing any pain pills to manage it. In fact, I keep having to tell myself I just went through a major surgery and have to take it easy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:20 pm 

Glad you are not suffering too much with it. Hope it is as successful as you had hoped for

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:26 am 

DA#G it! I just found out it takes 5 days for my nerves to regenerate. I am now in every bit of pain I've had with my other surgeries.

I had to take an oxycodne just to get up this morning so I could go into work. It's nearly lunch already, and has worn off. About to take another one just so I can get through the rest of my day. At last the oxy doesn't make too loopy any more.

Still no major bleeding too, so at least there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm 

Sorry about the pain, but it appears that you had a much better procedure this time around overall.

W.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm 

The real question is; was it though?

Its probably been enough time to get an initial "feel" of my new situation. And it seems not quite enough of the muscle was removed. I do leak whenever I do pretty much anything more strenuous that breathing (breathe deep, shift in my chair, and so on). This in turn has kept my urges at bay for most of the day.

However, when I am "in the zone" at work or in a game, and end up staying at my computer and mostly still for an hour or more, my bladder will fill up. This also occurs to me as I sleep (I sleep like a rock and will often wake in the exact same position I fell asleep in- and usually a bit stiff from it too). When this happens I will get that inevitable urge. At night it still wakes me up too, usually every two or three hours.

Conversely though; when I do get an urge I am now able to push just a little and will start peeing almost immediately. This has been preventing my urges from getting painful- which overall may not be a success but is good enough in my book. If this truly is how things settle out for me in a month or two, then I do not believe I'll be pursuing surgery #8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 am 

I guess almost every surgery is problematic to one degree or another. That you have emerged from this one as well as you have is reassuring. I hope you'll soon no longer need the oxycodone; that will be a real sign of victory.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:01 pm 

Well this weekend I had needed it a lot more than normal. My sphincter has been randomly spasming. This happened with my other surgeries too, so it's not unexpected.

Think of the spasm as if you had a deep muscle cut in your bicep. Even without moving your arm it would hurt, and likely bleed just a little. But now rapidly make the muscle as hard and quick as you can. Yeah. It's been so intense I've gone from asleep to bolt upright in half a second. Worse yet I was getting this every hour or two both nights. And worse still it is making me bleed more too.

I've been taking muscle relaxers to help with it, and expect this to calm down again within the next day or so, but also expect this to happen again sometime later. Oh well, it's just part of the normal healing process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm 

Time for an update. If anyone is squeamish you may not want to read on though.

So early last evening I was laying in bed to help with my recovery (laying down also alleviates my pain really well). I got an odd sensation I needed to pee, but it wasn't my usual urge. I tried pushing just a little and felt I started to pee but then got blocked. I got up out of bed and pushed a little more then felt the blockage pass with a sudden release of pee.

I've had this happen before with blood clots that break loose, so I wasn't too concerned. After checking my diaper though I found a large piece of fibrous tissue. My best guess is when my urologist cut out my sphincter muscle he didn't actually remove it. Instead it must have been in my bladder these last few weeks. And yeah it grossed out and disgusted me too.

Anyways, along with passing the tissue I also passed a massive blood clot about twice the size of a marble. Most likely broken loose by the tissue passing. Oddly I instantly felt less major pain overall but was also more sore with the constant low level pain I've had.

I bled pretty bad for a few hours after that. This too was kind of expected as my bleeding had always gotten temporally worse after passing a blood clot. It seemed to have calmed down by the time I went to sleep.

This morning I only have a small amount of bleeding in with my pee (which is pretty normal at this stage of my healing). My pain is also the same, with my major pain having been reduced, but also feeling a bit more sore at the same time. Overall I'd say I'm continuing to improve, but I am disappointed my urologist didn't actually remove the tissue he cut out. I talk to him in about 10 more days, and will be mentioning this for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next