www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Botox ??????
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:35 am 

I'm curious if any of our members have Botox injections in the bladder?

If so, in your opinion, what are the advantages, and disadvantages to this procedure?

Would you recommend this procedure to anyone that might benefit?

Post subject: Re: Botox ??????
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:25 pm 

I've had it both in my bladder and in just the external sphincter. Neither worked for me and actually made things worse.

The bladder wall lining injections did do great in almost completely removing my urges. However, the botox also made it so both my sphincters wouldn't work to save my life. I had to catheterized for about two months before it wore off.

The second time I had it done was to relax my external sphincter with the hope it would make it easier for me to pee, however, it actually tightened it and again I had to catheterize for two months before that wore off.

Both times I had it done so I could live without periodically cathing, yet I got the exact opposite effect. Another thing they don't tell you is it only lasts for two months, but you can only have it re-done every three months. Even if it does work great, you will still be stuck without that benefit for no less than 1/3rd of the time.

Plus, you've got to realize this is a minor surgery you would need every three months for the rest of your life. To make it worse though, the body will slowly adapt to the botox and build up a resistance. The more you use it, the less effective it will be.

Botox could be either be a disaster, or beneficial for the short term only. Either way you will need to find a better alternative sooner or later.

My advice, skip the botox. It is nothing more than a temporary bandaid at best, or possibly a major complication.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:16 pm 

A good friend of mine who is in the medical field has had Botox injections multiple times without full success. Most recently they never had the desired effect, so he had to put up with the considerable discomfort afterward, inconvenience, and still has to wear diapers. :D He later learned that they did not give him the full recommended amount of Botox or the complete number of injections. He has another series of shots next month and has sworn that this is the last time, if they do not work well.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 am 

Prior to my sphincterotomy in August, 1999, I had several Botox injections into my bladder trigone and sphincter. My experience with them was that, as time wore on, the injections were effective for shorter and shorter periods of time, eventually necessitating the surgery. I have since read that the Botox agent can migrate to places in the body remote from the injection sites; however, that did not happen to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:42 pm 

John,

Can you give us an update on your friend's latest experience with Botox injections for urinary incontinence?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:17 pm 

My friend just had a new series of Botox injections (two weeks ago) and is in the waiting period until some of the initial Botox effects wear off and things settle down with his bladder. He still is having to self-cath. I'll provide an update later. He has commented on how difficult it is to get everything just right for a successful Botox treatment and how most physicians do not do everything exactly as the manufacturer indicates. He has said that having the right medical team is critical.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 am 

I just had Botox in my bladder for the second time. I have incontinence due to Spina bifida and self intermittent catheterize and wear an incontinence pad. After the first injection, there was a mild decrease in incontinence. However, after this second injection, I'm seeing a huge increase in incontinence. Right before the procedure, I had to change my pad once or twice a day. One day after, and I have to change it 4 or 5 times a day and change my clothes at work. I talked to a nurse at my urologist's office, who only said that it takes time for the Botox to work. Has any one experienced an increase in incontinence after Botox or have an explanation? If it keeps up for more than a week, I'll make an appointment with my urologist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:28 pm 

My experience with Botox injections was that they paralyzed my external urinary sphincter, causing a continual leakage. Because my bladder was in frequent and painful spasms, losing control was a blessed relief. The injections gave me an accurate idea of what the surgery would eventually do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:22 pm 

Seconded, Botox is just not reliable. Worse yet it is temporary and needs to be repeated every three months, and after just a few injections they don't work as "good" as before either.