www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:08 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone has had these drugs at the same time? The new urologist that I was referred to has me on a trial run with these. He seems to indicate that in the near future I will probably need the Turp surgery. Has anyone had any side effects from this combo cocktail, and has it worked? I saw that one of the side effects was a diminished loss of hair, and possibly some regrowth. That wouldn't be all bad depending on where the hair growth would occur?????

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:42 pm 

This may be a bit late and of no use to you, but here's my experience:

I haven't taken Finasteride, but I did take Tamsulolsin for about 5 months. The Tamsulosin did indeed reduce the size of my prostate and open up the channel through it and make urinating easier. Although it came with the usual side-effect of retrograde ejaculation. And later the not-so-common side-effect of the inability to achieve orgasm.

I'm currently taking terazosin and trying to find a dosage that is effective without causing the side-effects. Neither have happened yet, so it's pretty much a wash at this point.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm 

I have been incontinent for several yrs the dr has me on tamsulosin.The uti's are now gone but wet the bed everynight and some daytime accidents so gained some and lost some.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:04 am 

Some comments on both these drugs.
BPH has been developing for some time and possibly low grade prostate cancer. A hip implant prevented MRI imaging of a significant volume of my prostate so my urologist wouldn't go poking in the dark; having a biopsy is off the table until it spreads to a region where it can be imaged. I'm in no hurry..... Flow studies indicated low flow rate and some retention. We discussed Tamsulosin and concluded with my low or non-existent activity of the enzymes that metabolize (dispose of) it that it should not be considered.
Finasteride on the other hand has improved my flow and caused my bald spot to fill in with normal looking hair. The doctor concluded that was a good sign that I was actually absorbing that drug (Pills which I take by mouth cannot be assumed to get into my blood circulation and there is a good biochemical reason for this found by genotyping).

Doctors don't always look for or consider individual biochemical differences in their patients. I had a Dr. keep doubling the dose of a blood pressure medication which wasn't working; even the max dose didn't help. I lacked the enzyme necessary to convert the molecule in the pill to the active metabolite which would do the job. Genotyping finally resolved this mystery, but I had moved on to a new doctor by then and he was the one who ordered the genotyping.

Fortunately, at worst, I have only gotten serious cases of hives from medication allergies. I have compiled a long list of drugs that I have had anomalous reactions to and included details about the reactions. Some doctors were glad to get this information and others weren't. The latter were not my doctors for long.