Switch to full style
Different Types of Treatments and Medications Available
Post a reply

Re: INTERSTIM

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 am

Diaperdan,

Do some research before making a final decision about the InterStim. The results are varied and it is not for everyone. A positive outcome is not guaranteed. Below are some notes from my draft book on managing incontinence:

"Minor surgery is required about every three years to replace the battery. The device reduced symptoms of urge incontinence in a majority of users, with about a third reporting significant reduction in incontinence episodes. About one half of the participants in one clinical study reported adverse events, including pain, infection, or movement of the wire, with one-third having the device surgically removed."

Note that only a third of users had a significant reduction in incontinence episodes. :( If you achieve less than significant reduction, will it be worth it? only you can answer that.

--John

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:31 am

Dan,
I have the implant if you want to PM me that would be ok.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 am

DON'T DO IT! I have also had the Interstim implant. It went horribly wrong and by their own statement it is only 40% effective any ways (80% of half who get it = 0.8 x 0.5 = 0.4). They are just working the numbers to make it look better than it really is. Take a look here for more of my thoughts on it;
http://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2123&hilit=interstim

Feel free to PM more if you want too.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:53 pm

I asked about a gastric (stomach, small intestine and colon) Interstim implant at my last gastroenterologist appointment. He was gentle, but emphatic: the Interstim is far too chancy for me. If I did not have other medical issues, he said he might consider it, but those issues make an implant truly threatening.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Update

I had the trial Medtronic Interstem put in. I had it for 12 days. It did a good job. I was impressed. I was able to get out a lot of urine, which I couldn't before. When my Foley was out all I could pee was about 10 seconds and maybe put out 100ml. The last day of my test I put out 500ml and it was 50 seconds long. It has been a real long time that I could do that.

When the Neurourologist put it in he used a Fluoroscope. He told me that my tailbone was twisted. He had problems getting the leads in. No wonder I have incontinence. I have the regular unit implanted the first of the year!

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Dan,
I have been using my Stem to control my bladder. I know your set up will differ from mine but I currently control my pain and bladder. Im at this time been testing this system sense the last of July and have had great success. I hope you do also, good luck

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:03 am

My Interstem was placed in me on Monday 1-9-17. It took 11/2 hours to place it. Before the operation, my bladder was very weak. I could only hold a stream for 10 seconds. I would have to go once an hour.
After my operation, when I got home, I went for 60 seconds. I thought it would never stop!!! I have no leakage at all, I go every 4 hours or so. The strong urges are gone, and it has stopped up my bowels, for those of you than need that info!
I no longer need a diaper at night or a Foley to drain my bladder. I put out 300-400ml of urine now, It used to be 100ml.
And I'm just getting started.

There is a warning that the Interstem has to be shutoff when having any surgery, X-Rays,or invasive dental procedures. Also when going through airports or courtrooms. I was issued a ID card stating I have an implant

Other than where it was placed I feel no pain from it.

If I can answer any questions , let me know.

I can tell you I have used everything there was diapers, Catheters, internal/external, and Foley ( Duette )

I am finally free, as soon as I heal up, I can do things and not have to worry about the bathroom again!

I did use a Neurourologist, not just a Urologist. My Urologist never told me about the Interstem, even though he's a coworker with my Neurologist!!! Boy have I got questions when I see my Urologist!

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 am

Wow, just wow. I can't believe it worked out so great for you! Congrats.

This has to be the best possible outcome I've ever heard with interstim. Unlike mine which is probably the worst.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 am

I had a Medtronic Interstem installed in January 2017. It is doing great. I could kick myself for not having it put in sooner. I do not have to look for a BR anymore, and best yet no catheters stuck up me!! I'm wearing regular underwear, and not diapers!!!
I have had no problems going through scanners. I was in Court and it set off no alarms. I was in and out in 6 hours. I have a controller I can set the settings myself.
I do not know it's there, unless I change the setting. Then it subsides quickly. Look up Medtronic Interstem on the net and read about it. It takes a Uro Neurologist
to to the job. A regular Urologist doesn't do them. I go to SIU School of Urology. They have everything in house. I was the first person in Central Illinois to have the Duette Foley put in. The head of the Department helped create the Duette, when he was at Northwestern University.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 am

Diaperdan,

It is great to read a success story. Thanks!

--Jhn
Post a reply