www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INTERSTIM
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 am 

Diaperdan,

Do some research before making a final decision about the InterStim. The results are varied and it is not for everyone. A positive outcome is not guaranteed. Below are some notes from my draft book on managing incontinence:

"Minor surgery is required about every three years to replace the battery. The device reduced symptoms of urge incontinence in a majority of users, with about a third reporting significant reduction in incontinence episodes. About one half of the participants in one clinical study reported adverse events, including pain, infection, or movement of the wire, with one-third having the device surgically removed."

Note that only a third of users had a significant reduction in incontinence episodes. :( If you achieve less than significant reduction, will it be worth it? only you can answer that.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:31 am 

Dan,
I have the implant if you want to PM me that would be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 am 

DON'T DO IT! I have also had the Interstim implant. It went horribly wrong and by their own statement it is only 40% effective any ways (80% of half who get it = 0.8 x 0.5 = 0.4). They are just working the numbers to make it look better than it really is. Take a look here for more of my thoughts on it;
http://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2123&hilit=interstim

Feel free to PM more if you want too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:53 pm 

I asked about a gastric (stomach, small intestine and colon) Interstim implant at my last gastroenterologist appointment. He was gentle, but emphatic: the Interstim is far too chancy for me. If I did not have other medical issues, he said he might consider it, but those issues make an implant truly threatening.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:28 pm 

Update

I had the trial Medtronic Interstem put in. I had it for 12 days. It did a good job. I was impressed. I was able to get out a lot of urine, which I couldn't before. When my Foley was out all I could pee was about 10 seconds and maybe put out 100ml. The last day of my test I put out 500ml and it was 50 seconds long. It has been a real long time that I could do that.

When the Neurourologist put it in he used a Fluoroscope. He told me that my tailbone was twisted. He had problems getting the leads in. No wonder I have incontinence. I have the regular unit implanted the first of the year!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:48 pm 

Dan,
I have been using my Stem to control my bladder. I know your set up will differ from mine but I currently control my pain and bladder. Im at this time been testing this system sense the last of July and have had great success. I hope you do also, good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:03 am 

My Interstem was placed in me on Monday 1-9-17. It took 11/2 hours to place it. Before the operation, my bladder was very weak. I could only hold a stream for 10 seconds. I would have to go once an hour.
After my operation, when I got home, I went for 60 seconds. I thought it would never stop!!! I have no leakage at all, I go every 4 hours or so. The strong urges are gone, and it has stopped up my bowels, for those of you than need that info!
I no longer need a diaper at night or a Foley to drain my bladder. I put out 300-400ml of urine now, It used to be 100ml.
And I'm just getting started.

There is a warning that the Interstem has to be shutoff when having any surgery, X-Rays,or invasive dental procedures. Also when going through airports or courtrooms. I was issued a ID card stating I have an implant

Other than where it was placed I feel no pain from it.

If I can answer any questions , let me know.

I can tell you I have used everything there was diapers, Catheters, internal/external, and Foley ( Duette )

I am finally free, as soon as I heal up, I can do things and not have to worry about the bathroom again!

I did use a Neurourologist, not just a Urologist. My Urologist never told me about the Interstem, even though he's a coworker with my Neurologist!!! Boy have I got questions when I see my Urologist!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 am 

Wow, just wow. I can't believe it worked out so great for you! Congrats.

This has to be the best possible outcome I've ever heard with interstim. Unlike mine which is probably the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 am 

I had a Medtronic Interstem installed in January 2017. It is doing great. I could kick myself for not having it put in sooner. I do not have to look for a BR anymore, and best yet no catheters stuck up me!! I'm wearing regular underwear, and not diapers!!!
I have had no problems going through scanners. I was in Court and it set off no alarms. I was in and out in 6 hours. I have a controller I can set the settings myself.
I do not know it's there, unless I change the setting. Then it subsides quickly. Look up Medtronic Interstem on the net and read about it. It takes a Uro Neurologist
to to the job. A regular Urologist doesn't do them. I go to SIU School of Urology. They have everything in house. I was the first person in Central Illinois to have the Duette Foley put in. The head of the Department helped create the Duette, when he was at Northwestern University.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 am 

Diaperdan,

It is great to read a success story. Thanks!

--Jhn