Switch to full style
Different Types of Treatments and Medications Available
Post a reply

Water pills

Sat May 09, 2015 11:33 am

I'm hoping someone here may have some experience with this but I have a friend I met on another site for incontinence I have kept up with and she has just been put in Lasix for a serious health problem she is dealing with now. She is taking 20mg three times a day and going through Abena M4s like nothing else. She still has to work full time and it is seriously affecting her time at work.
She asked how long till the body adjust yo the new med and she will not flood her diaper an hour or two after taking it?
I suggested a catheter but she is not really keen on that idea. Any thought?

Re: Water pills

Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Rope, Not good news I fear. My brother has been on Lasix for years. He has to hit the bathroom every hour, day and night. So 'adjusting' to Lasix is just going and going. My brother complains all the time about the lack of sleep. I want to tell him to pin on two good night cloth diapers, but he does not know I have been in diapers for 11 years. Hopefully your friend's condition will clear up. Papa

Re: Waret pills

Sat May 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Catheters for sure.....they've been a lifesaver to those of us who are going, and going, and going

Sun May 10, 2015 10:04 pm

I take hydroclorothiazide (another water pill) for high blood pressure. They work as advertised. I did have a 2 week adjustment period where the effect was more pronounced, but even years later I deal with my kidneys being in hyperdrive for several hours after taking it. There is only one effective way to get water out.

Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 am

I am also taking hydroclorothiazide to keep water from collecting in my legs and feet. It took me several weeks to stop flooding all the time. Some days I still do after 6 months of taking that medication.

OP - If your friend can't adjust to it she might need to ask her doctor about other options. ConfiDry 24/7 diapers might give her a couple of floods worth of protection more than the M4. The good thing is the ConfiDry's don't feel wet until they are near saturation. Abena's aren't quite that dry feeling.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:13 am

I take these too for BP, and combined with my BPH it is just not great.
If I have to drive or have a meeting or some other activity. I skip the pill.
Basically, when I take the pill, within 20 minutes I pee like every 5-15 minutes for the next 2+ hours.
I recently had BPH surgery, so I been wearing diapers due to urgency.
Since I already have I diaper for the BPH IC, I just go in it until the effect of the pill wears off. Basically one 20mg water pill = 1 diaper for me, which I already had on assuming It was mostly dry. I have no chance of making it to the bathroom while the pill is doing its thing. I been taking the pill very early in the morning (4-5AM) so its mostly over by the time I have to go anywhere.

:cry: :x

Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Incidentally, since I wet the bed most nights anyway, I take mine after dinner, when I'm not likely to be out anyway, and just deal with the extra output at night.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:08 pm

I did try it at night too since I put on an L4. I may try that again since I have an early meeting coming up so taking the water pill in the morning would not be good.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Although I am not on Lasix (for which I am grateful) I am on metoprolol, which is another diuretic, and also puts my kidneys on overdrive. When my cardiologist noticed that I'd had a sphincterotomy, he told me to wear extra protection when I took it. Good advice.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:05 pm

I use tranquility boosters to help with the large floods I have. They really help and up the overall capacity. There are different sizes to help with what she will need to get better coverage.
Post a reply