www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OAB medications
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 am 

I'll post his here and there over time just so folks can be aware of it. There was a study released last june that links bladder meds to irreversible dementia. An increase in cases of over 100%. This is a preliminary study and hasn't been followed up as far as I know. So you might take it with a grain of salt. I brought this up with a psychiatrist and she thought a bit and sort said WOW! She then told me about the suppression of acetylcholin and the effects of it on nerve bundles in the brain. Bladder meds (anticholergics) suppress acetlycholin production. She came up with the thought that it might be a bad idea to play with anticholinergics (bladder meds). The meds do work well for about a third of the people that take them and I was seeing some really good results. The big problem I had was headaches. I think I would have pursued the drug a little further if it weren't for the dementia problem.

It might be added that anticholinergics are an active part of allergy drugs like Benedryl. The dementia problems arise with long term use of bladder control drugs at levels above 2.9mg (for like 5 years). Anyways I decided the POSSIBLE risk was not for me. Diapers or dementia and diapers.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:50 pm 

Wow is right! Thanks for posting this Ted.

And to think I've been on every kind of incontinence med for almost two decades. Talk about dodging a bullet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 pm 

Ted and I had an in depth conversation about this in another thread. As he said the study is preliminary, and they showed a correlation between anti-cholenergics in general, and an increase in prevalence of dementia. It's not definitively causative, and it wasn't clear if it's all anti-cholenergics, or just some classes, because they lumped them all together for the study.

It was enough evidence to be concerned, at least until more studies, that parse out the true effects, are published.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:22 am 

Ted wrote:
I'll post his here and there over time just so folks can be aware of it. There was a study released last june that links bladder meds to irreversible dementia. An increase in cases of over 100%. This is a preliminary study and hasn't been followed up as far as I know. So you might take it with a grain of salt. I brought this up with a psychiatrist and she thought a bit and sort said WOW! She then told me about the suppression of acetylcholin and the effects of it on nerve bundles in the brain. Bladder meds (anticholergics) suppress acetlycholin production. She came up with the thought that it might be a bad idea to play with anticholinergics (bladder meds). The meds do work well for about a third of the people that take them and I was seeing some really good results. The big problem I had was headaches. I think I would have pursued the drug a little further if it weren't for the dementia problem.

It might be added that anticholinergics are an active part of allergy drugs like Benedryl. The dementia problems arise with long term use of bladder control drugs at levels above 2.9mg (for like 5 years). Anyways I decided the POSSIBLE risk was not for me. Diapers or dementia and diapers.....

Does this also apply for Miabegron - that it can / does cause dementia? If so I'll stop taking it immediately, I see no reason trying to mitigate one problem, only to opt for a more serious problem, I would rather wet myself, and still have a fully functional memory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 am 

jms,

You should discuss this with your physician. Don't stop taking your medication yet. As noted, the study was only a preliminary study. As many other mediations also will be affected, there is sure to be another and more extensive study.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:57 pm 

jms wrote:
Does this also apply for Miabegron - that it can / does cause dementia? If so I'll stop taking it immediately, I see no reason trying to mitigate one problem, only to opt for a more serious problem, I would rather wet myself, and still have a fully functional memory

No, as I'm fairly sure it's not an anticholenergic. It's a completely different type of drug. There should be no relation to this study.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 pm 

That is frustrating. If those medications had worked for me, I would have had an excuse for dealing with my family. Oh well, live and learn...