www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OAB medications
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:45 pm 

Rope,
I have taken all of the meds that everybody talked about, but for me this is life. The pills would help and then cause a list of bad side affects. I take a lot of pain meds and have a computer in my right butt cheek and wires in my spine that help manage my pain. My doctors and I have just said we will work together to manage my incontinence. Diapers, booster and the support of family is the only way for me now. I hope you can find a cure, and everybody here on this forum, but there isn't one for me. Good luck !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:41 am 

batman381327 wrote:
Good luck with the trail JMS. Hopefully, it works for you with no side affects. Let me know if it works for you. I used to say if there is a pill to fix it, give it to me. I seem to be taking the opposite approach now were I only want to take meds only if I have too.

Been on Myrbetriq for three days now 50mg., so far, nothing besides serious nausea and diarrhea, which started after one day only - my doctor explained to me, that I am supposed to see an effect on my bladder after approx. one week, so far I have not noticed my bladder calming down yet.

The side effects from Myrbetriq so far, is really taken it's toe on me....I'm already considering skipping the medication simply because of the side effects from it...anyway I'll give it a few weeks, and if the side effects are just as bad then as they are now, I deal with my problem myself, which means no more medication no more chasing a cure which are worse than the problem itself. Though I still cross my fingers that it might help remove the problem, but if not, and it only help a little and I still have to deal with OAB and urge incon meaning I still have to wear protection, then what's the point in taking an extraordinary expensive medicine....then I might just as well consider giving in and just use protection...I have rad from others that their experience from taken this approach actually helped them a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:36 am 

jms,

Hang in there with the Myrbetriq. It may take your body some time to adapt to the medication and to show favorable results. One of the claims made for Myrbetriq is that, for most people, it has fewer adverse effects than other medications.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:06 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
jms,

Hang in there with the Myrbetriq. It may take your body some time to adapt to the medication and to show favorable results. One of the claims made for Myrbetriq is that, for most people, it has fewer adverse effects than other medications.

--John

That's true and also why I decided to give it a try - however the side effects I already have, are listed as "common" in the inlay, but yes, I cross my fingers and give the medication a few weeks (the one package I got) and then I'll evaluate the effect etc. is it worth it. I just became depressed to have these adverse effects from it already. Right now it makes the my incontinence a walk in the park compared to this.

The disturbing fact is, that I might have to continue taking this medication the rest of my life if it works...

I just wonder whether others have tried this new "wonder" drug and can report their opinions - did the side effects subside after a while etc. how well did it work. Just to get an impression.
I for sure will report back after my "test run"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:39 pm 

jms,

I had a trial of Myrbetriq last year. Although it did calm my bladder spasms, it was so expensive that my health insurance drug allotment for the year was rapidly consumed. And I still needed diapers. I did not refill that prescription again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 am 

Patrick wrote:
jms,

I had a trial of Myrbetriq last year. Although it did calm my bladder spasms, it was so expensive that my health insurance drug allotment for the year was rapidly consumed. And I still needed diapers. I did not refill that prescription again.

But did you think, that if you continued on it, it would have helped in the end so you wouldn't have to wear protection at all, had you continued on it? Or did it only lessen the symptoms so you could use thinner / lighter protection but yet still had to use protection overall?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 pm 

I tried it last year as well. Actually on two separate occasions, the first time was for 3 months then I stopped. A new urologist later then insisted I try it again in case it might work differently??? I humored him for a couple of months before convincing him to move on to an actual treatment.

Both times The Myrbetriq did calm my bladder spasms by about 40 percent. However, I already have a very high blood pressure and this made it even worse. I could not keep taking it as such, nor did I want to. Like you said, even with the slight improvement I was still getting the spasms and still needing a diaper. What then would have been the point in continuing to take it.

Sadly, this was also the most effective medication I have ever tried. And I have quite literally tried every med even remotely associated to treat urinary problems. Plus a few off label meds as well, some with little affect, other with horrible side effects. None were worth it for three months though, and certainly not for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 pm 

Brian, that was the medication I tried which worked for my bladder issues. Sadly, it made me so dizzy I couldn't move so I still had accidents caused by the new mobility issues. Ugh, one step forward and two steps back. It was after this medicine that I opted for the diapers full time.... and that was 6 months ago.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:43 am 

The Myrbetriq mostly, but not completely, calmed my bladder spasms. They still were painful enough to disturb my sleep several times each week, and my family noticed me wince occasionally. Granted, the leakage was also greatly diminished, but not enough to permit me to live without wearing some protection. However, gastroparesis has made my bowel issues a source of continuing difficulty. Even if, by some miracle, I were to regain full bladder control, I would still need to wear protection because of periodic episodes of blockage/diarrhea which make me soil myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:05 pm 

Patrick wrote:
The Myrbetriq mostly, but not completely, calmed my bladder spasms. They still were painful enough to disturb my sleep several times each week, and my family noticed me wince occasionally. Granted, the leakage was also greatly diminished, but not enough to permit me to live without wearing some protection. However, gastroparesis has made my bowel issues a source of continuing difficulty. Even if, by some miracle, I were to regain full bladder control, I would still need to wear protection because of periodic episodes of blockage/diarrhea which make me soil myself.

We can all still hope for miracles!!

Marcus Aurelius