www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OAB medications
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 am 

I think I have tried just about every OAB medication out there. Some helped, some did absolutely nothing. Now take what I am saying with a grain of salt because my symptoms changed a bit over time and this was the point where I began to have more bladder pain.
The first one I ever took was Detrol LA. That one gave me a slight dry mouth and didn't help very much.
Next was VesiCare. This one I did see an improvement in the frequency and urgency but I had much worse dry mouth and it also stopped me from sweating. Because this was early on in my condition, I was desperate for anything that would help. I took this for over two years and over time it became less effective.
Then I tried Toviaz and that one put me in what I thought was retention but turned out I was having a nonstop urge to go. I quit that and went back on the VesiCare for about another six months and quit taking it because I didn't see a point of dealing with the side effects if I still needed a diaper. Later I tried Myrbetriq and then some topical gel version of oxybutynin. The last two I saw in improvement in the urgency but they both caused me a lot of pain so I did not take them long enough to see any side effects. The pain I was feeling was not from the medication but the fact my bladder could not hold urine anymore.

What other medications have others tried?

Post subject: Re: OAB medications
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:55 am 

It sounds like you have tried more or less everything, Rope. There's quite a lot of drugs out there but they are nearly all varieties of oxybutynin. I have tried that and Vesicare not for incontinence but to try and get my bladder to relax (I use an intermittent catheter to empty my bladder but there is quite a bit of pressure in there often and that can make for discomfort.) All I got was a dry mouth and the rest of the symptoms.

Maybe these drugs help people with minor problems but once one needs containment either with nappies or a drainage system, I think they are just not effective enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 am 

I tried the oxybutynin. Just made my mouth REALLY dry and I had to drink more. Didn't help with my bladder and I went more because I was drinking more. Kinda defeats the purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:02 pm 

My experience with drugs for urge incontinence was also very disappointing. Over a period of about three years, my urologist tried me on six different medications. All of them except the Oxybutinin skin patch produced unacceptable side effects, in my case mostly a large increase in nasal sinus problems. And none of them reduced the frequency of my wetting episodes very much. So I just decided that wearing diapers was the most nearly hassle-free way of dealing with the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:12 am 

I have only used vesicare which I am prescribed. I can't honestly say it does very much to stem the flow. I rely on nappies or pads and just get on with life. I see the continence nurse periodically and just accept my incontinence as part of my lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:37 am 

I tried flowmax when I first started experiencing IC. Once I started, I began to get nauseous and sometimes throw up when I moved from laying or sitting to standing up. I was constantly dizzy. My doctor said that flowmax tends to lower your blood pressure. Since I have normal blood pressure, the lowering effect was causing problems. I stopped before noticing any good effects.

After that experience, my GP and urologist have both suggested other medications, all with similar side effects. I told them that I would rather wear diapers all the time than feel sick all the time. I was surprised that they understood. Now my records say I am managing my symptoms with pads. My doctors have left it up to me, they say if i get tired of the pads, I can try the meds again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:59 pm 

RC-UK, I have said this in other discussions, but I too have resolved to manage my incontinence with diapers. The meds I have tried had bad side effects are minimal help so why take them. My last doctor's visit the doc was selling me on a new med(not so new now) called Myrbetriq and told me it had no side effects. Well, upon further research it does has side effects such as Rope's. I also found out it had a list of effects, so I decided not to even try it. Granted diapers have side effects of leaking and embarrassment, but those are not as bad as what the meds have caused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:58 pm 

batman381327 wrote:
RC-UK, I have said this in other discussions, but I too have resolved to manage my incontinence with diapers. The meds I have tried had bad side effects are minimal help so why take them. My last doctor's visit the doc was selling me on a new med(not so new now) called Myrbetriq and told me it had no side effects. Well, upon further research it does has side effects such as Rope's. I also found out it had a list of effects, so I decided not to even try it. Granted diapers have side effects of leaking and embarrassment, but those are not as bad as what the meds have caused.

I decided to try the diapers when my urologist threw his hands up in the air and metaphorically gave up after all the meds he prescribed failed or had severe side effects. He told me to manage the wetting and call if the condition worsened. I was left to figure out what "managing" the issue meant on my own. Luckily at about that time I found this forum! 8)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:20 pm 

batman381327 wrote:

My doctor want's me to try the Myrbetriq for my OAB. Tried other OAB medication variants before which should help ease on the problem, which they didn't - at least not to a point where it made sense to continue, giving the side effects I experienced.

I too have searched the internet for every bit of information I could find on the new "miracle drug" Myrbetriq...and to be honest I have some concern due to the list of side effects this medication is known for. Also the cost of this medication is quite expensive....anyway I have decided to give it a try and see how it works.

Historically I have a very low tolerance for nearly all medications, even painkillers cause me trouble. I remember some years ago, after having a hernia surgery, I was prescribed some really strong painkillers. One of the painkillers in particular caused me to almost faint....but I had to take them otherwise the pain was unbearable despite how they made me feel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:40 pm 

Good luck with the trail JMS. Hopefully, it works for you with no side affects. Let me know if it works for you. I used to say if there is a pill to fix it, give it to me. I seem to be taking the opposite approach now were I only want to take meds only if I have too.