www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swimming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 pm 

Ladies,
I would love to get out to the pool with my kids this summer. Have any of you tried those swim diapers? I picture something under my bathing suit and then a pair of short/swim skirt style over top? Any success stories?

Post subject: Re: Swimming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm 

Do you have fecal incontinence? If not, you don't really need a swim diaper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm 

I do have fecal, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:23 pm 

I agree that unless you have fecal incontinence, I’d guess that there’s no special precautions necessary.
I usually wear swimsuits with modesty skirts at the beach and generally avoid pools, especially if there’s a lot of people around. If I’m at a pool for a party or lounging, I seldom get in unless it’s thigh depth only, and usually wear a pull-up combination, tucked in well. If I accidentally do go deeper, I grab a towel and wrap it around my waist.
When I was in college with my boyfriend (now husband), I wore a bikini top with a cloth diaper and plastic pants under a mesh coverup on a dare.... I used to do this type of crazy (stupid) things much too often, but fortunately I was smart enough to be well away from home, never intentionally flashing anyone, and was never unaccompanied. I’ve since gotten past those wild days but learned important lessons from them: People don’t usually notice most things around them unless blatant indiscretion or near totally unusual or obvious! That has given me the confidence to do what I need to do to be comfortable and live a nearly normal adult life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:39 pm 

I have come to notice that I worry about it being noticed a lot more than it is actually noticed. I saw some SoSecure swimbriefs and wondered if anyone had tried them under a bathing suit. The picture made them look pretty slim under the suit. I don’t really have the option to go without.
Thanks for the input and feedback! I’m not sure if this will be the year or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 am 
Admin

Hi. Sorry I am not female but I hope you don’t mind the reply. I am bowel incontinent as well. I live in Florida and frequent the pools and beaches as well. I use the sosecure swim diaper from discovery trekking. I’ve owned a few. The last one I had lasted 6 years. Worn multiple times per summer. I wash it in the washing machine. DO NOT put it in the dryer. If there’s a defect, discovery trekking will replace it unless they find evidence of it being through the dryer. It is a really good swim suit. It’s completely form fitting. It should fit snug. If it’s too big and you have a lot of excess space, it will hold water when you get out of the pool. This causes it to drip constantly. I find it helpful that if you do get water in your suit, find a private place to “pop” your suit to let the water out. It is not for urine containment. I could not go swimming without it. I wear mine under board shorts. As far as I know, nobody has ever noticed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 am 

Thank you, Don! I appreciate the reply. I’m happy to hear that it is snug and sounds quite discreet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:52 pm 
Admin

Hello again. I wanted to let you know that with the swim diaper, it has large single Velcro tabs on each side. I would caution that if you were to wear a form fitting bathing suit over the swim diaper, the Velcro closures will probably show through due to their thickness. You can’t see my tabs through my board shorts but women’s swim suits obviously are different and hug the body. You may be able to break this up with a pattern on your outer bathing suit. The swim diaper is full coverage. It will contain what it’s supposed to contain. If I feel a bowel event coming on, I will make my way out of the pool and head to the bathroom. If I leak on the way there, I’ll find a way to clean up. It may mean I have to be resourceful. But the swim diaper for me has been a great investment. I’ve tried others and there’s no comparison. Sometimes through swimming activities, my board shorts waistband will slide down. I try to keep them up but it just happens. My swim diaper gets exposed. You have to keep it pulled up. I generally have no problem keeping the diaper pulled up though. It does not slide. Just my shorts. But still nobody has commented. I’m not sure if the general public puts together that it’s a swim diaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 pm 

Fortunately, I am not fecal incontinent but if I were, I would have considered Don’s advise very seriously.
I have had issues a while back with occasional fecal surprises, but it seems that the meds are working to control things very well.
My urinary incontinence was also getting much more severe for awhile, but things on that front are improving too, though if I had to put a number to it, I’d say I’can now control my bladder maybe half of the time during the day but still near totally incontinent at night, but again, that’s a huge improvement. All of that translates to a little less product costs and a lot less laundry, which suits me just fine.
This improvement has affected my attitude and outlook dramatically! Right now, I’m riding a wave!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 pm 

I hope the wave continues, Ellyn, that is wonderful news!

Thank you so much, Don. I was concerned about what would show under a suit so I appreciate knowing about the Velcro and would dress appropriately. Thank you!