www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bedwetting Alarms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 pm 

Does anyone here have experience with them? The Bedwetting Store has a large selection and prices vary. I'm guessing that these are geared for kids, but a couple of years ago, a guy who I think was in his early 40s posted to the Depend forum that he was starting a program with one to "end this once and for all with an alarm". He stated that his wife was not at all confident that it would work, and he ended up scrapping the project after something like 3 weeks. I don't know how long a successful outcome is expected to take.

I can't envision how alarms are helpful - the sensor needs to detect a few drops of wetness before the alarm sounds/vibrates, and I'm doubtful that I could wet only a few drops and then stop wetting immediately in response to a sound or jolting. Also, it seems to me that the alarm sound or vibration would only startle the sleeper (especially a child?), and cause the sleeper to have a full and immediate bladder voiding as a reflex response. Thoughts? Thanks.

Wetters

Post subject: Re: Bedwetting Alarms
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 am 

If you wake up soaked it's likely not to work at all. If you wake up as soon as you start to wet and can stop the flow then I think your chances are better. I tried many different methods to wake so I could keep the bed dry and I only wake up in the morning tired and wet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:29 pm 

Thanks for the perspective, Doug - I had suspected that my circumstances would not be compatible with the function of an alarm.

I'm sorry that you're having poor quality sleep.

Wetters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:58 pm 

Speaking only for myself, no way would I use an alarm. Because of my sphincterotomy, when I go to bed adequately hydrated, I leak several times every night. If an alarm awakened me each time, after a few nights of interrupted sleep, I would soon spend my days in a groggy sleep-deprived condition. I would be a hazard on the road, ineffectual in my family and community, and Meniere's would make me wish for a hospital bed. Perhaps alarms work for children who are having a difficult time with potty training. The Geneva Convention should outlaw them for adults.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:18 pm 

Wow - I didn't realize that they qualify for that level of classification. I've been reserving that for indwelling catheters.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 am 

Haha.....I laughed about the Geneva convention comment, but also wanted to throw in my .02. I used a similar thing when I was younger and had a problem with bed wetting. I believe it wet on till I was about 8ish years old. I had forgotten about the damn thing until you mentioned it. It had a pad that you layed on and when it got wet it made a god awful alarm, I don't think it worked. If I recall correctly, I ended up in diapers off and on.
I also wanted to weigh in on the comment on indwelling catheters. As my current situation has required me to use Foley catheters, I have one in probably 75% of the time nowadays. Though it isn't a great solution for me it is the best I've found so far. I truly do sleep more soundly with the foley in and wake more rested. My wife likes it because I'm far less inclined to be in a bad mood, anxious, snappy if I've slept through the night. I have grown to like my catheter for the positive change its made in my life in this regard. I sometimes dislike it because it because as a young otherwise healthy guy, it has effectively killed my sexlife and thus I'm acutely aware that the 90 year olds in the nursing home down the street are getting more sex than I am.......that really sucks......anyway.....sorry to get off topic......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 pm 

Hi, PB&J - Thanks for your input. I'm sorry that the Foley is causing you distress with regard to intimacy. Considering that there's been a lot of talk here on the forum in the last few weeks about condom caths, maybe they could work for you overnight. You most likely could put it on yourself in the privacy of your bathroom after having sex. If you discover that the Foley works best after all, maybe you and your wife can work out a method for mentally disassociating the catheter from the concept of sex and romance.

Wetters

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:50 am 

There is controversy even with regard to the use of alarms for children who are bedwetting. Recall that, that many children who are bedwetters sleep so soundly that, even after the alarm sounds, they fail to wake up. The alarm actually awakens their parents who, in turn, get the groggy child to the toilet.
In this case the the parents change the diaper, the child easily goes back to sleep, and it is the poor parents wind up sleep-deprived! :roll:

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 pm 

I have never been able to visualize a benefit to using them. It seems to me that the only result would be to frighten and upset the child.

Wetters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 pm 

Had to ask my mother about the bed wetting the other day.......she laughed about the alarm, said it woke everyone but me in the house up........apparently I was quite the heavy sleeper. I wet the bed till I was 7-8 and was put in diapers a fair amount.......last urologist asked me about it and I said I had had bed wetting accidents as a child till I was about 8ish........he said that could have something to do with my current issues. I don't have bed wetting issues now, I am able to wake up and that's my problem. I am up anywhere between 0-5 times a night. I like 0 times, and it does happen on occasion, but man am I full when I get up in the morning. A few nights of getting up 3-4 times a night makes me a zombie and I get very moody, anxious, and the symptoms get worse. It's a vicious cycle, and that's when the foley enters the picture.