www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:05 pm 

Today I'm having what I call "Wetapalooza". It's an OAB/overflow thing that starts right after I void before getting into bed for the night. I have the sensation off a full and irritated bladder, and a need to void every few minutes. Sleeping is impossible if I'm getting out of bed to use the bathroom that frequently, so I made the decision a while back to voluntarily void into my nighttime pull-up. I do that until I fall asleep. Of course I also have a wetting episode during the night, and I usually take the better-safe-than-sorry approach and change my pullup. It takes me a while to get back to sleep after that, and it wrecks me for the next day. The urge/overflow problem persists into the next day, and out of the (home) office appointments are out of the question. I put sweatpants on over my Abri-Flex pull-up, and a bed pad on my (new) office chair. I try to produce a meaningful work product and have productive and professional phone/e-mail conversations. I'm afraid that one of these days I'm going to totally lose it and tell someone 'I'm sorry if I'm somewhat off today, but I spent all last night and today peeing into my disposable absorbent underwear.' Sorry for the rant, but I needed it. Thanks.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:58 pm 

Wetters

So sorry to hear about your problems and frustrations.

Hugs all round!!!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:15 pm 

Wetters,

"Wetapalooza" - I love it!! :lol:

More seriously, I have the same symptoms. I tried to mention it to my urologist but don't know what formal name it has. I think of it as my bladder going on "autopilot" with no voluntary control from me. With me it comes and goes at any time of the day. Once something triggers it and it has begun, it can continue for hours. I must pee 10 - 15 times an hour, although in undetermined small amounts each time. :( It then can just go away for a day or more.

You said that it is a symptom of OAB. Can you tell me any more? Is there a medical name for it?

--John

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:02 pm 

Thank you, greenbank.

John, I call it OAB because my bladder is so restless. Like you, I'm peeing something like 10-15 times per hour, in small amounts. I haven't talked to my doctor about it (I haven't told him about my bedwetting either - I'm too embarrassed to bring any of it up). Wetapalooza doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I'm totally trashed.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:52 pm 

Wetters I fully understand the embarrassment. Who would think it would be so difficult to discuss these topics with our doctors? However, I urge you to try for the sake of your own health.

--John
(On travel in Arizona)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:27 pm 

Thanks, John - I think my next step is to schedule an appointment with a urologist. I'm fairly sure that I can self-refer. I tried a few years ago to talk with my PCP about my daytime urge accidents, and he shoved me off on his nurse practitioner. She, without examining me or ordering/conducting any testing, determined that my bladder doesn't empty completely, and it gets "over-full" (her words). She told me that's what's causing me to have accidents. Her only offering was surgery "to lengthen the neck of my bladder" (no, thanks).

I'm inclined to think that there isn't any connection between my night wettings and my daytime urge accidents, other than possible nerve damage as a result of my stroke. Both conditions got substantially worse post-stroke.

I do want to find out what's causing the Wetapalooza. I'm having trouble controlling my Type II Diabetes lately, and maybe that's the problem, but a urology workup will help to "eliminate" possible alternate causes. I'm also getting a handle on diet & exercise.

Wetters

P.S. Hope you're having a wonderful visit!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:18 am 

Wetters, I'm sorry to hear that you're havong some issues. My ears perked up,when you said you had Type II diabetes. If you're sugar is super high it can cause your body to make excess urine to try to flush the extra sugar out. Anyway, I know what it's like to have things flare up late afternoon/dinner time through bed time. That has been a hallmark of my condition, I feel like I just can't get empty enough to fall asleep I always leak after I go and feel damp for 15-20 minutes after each time I go, just as I'm feeling dry, I have to go again!! So once I finally get to bed and I do finally fall asleep I'm awakened several times a night to pee......it leaves me exhausted, anxious, and irritable. Hence the Foley catheter and then I sleep through the night wonderfully and wake up dry!!! I wish you the best of luck, but can tell you that I've lost all faith in the medical community being able to help any of us.....I've seen so many doctors and had so many tests with no results, I have no faith that they'll get to the bottom of any of our conditions......

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm 

Sorry I'm replying in the Ladies section but your post mentioned diabetes and peeing too frequently. If this is a recent and sudden change you need to talk to your doctor ASAP!

The most common cause of a sudden increase of urine output could either be a UTI or sugar imbalance. Both can have deadly results if not treated quickly.

Please get checked out and let us know you are okay.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:07 pm 

Thanks, Guys - I talked to the PCP just now - he wants me to take the Metformin in the morning, instead of in the evening, and take my insulin at bedtime. I'll see how that goes. As I think is the case with most diabetics, I'm not in 100% compliance 100% of the time, but I don't eat total crap either. Fresh veggies and lean meats or fish for dinner most nights, but we do have a pizza or Mexican food (my particular weakness) every couple of months. The Hubbs is type II as well, so it's pretty easy for both of us to stay away from the doughnuts, cake, etc. We are light-to-moderate drinkers ('m having a bourbon (no water) right now, as a matter of fact!). We walked half a mile around the park yesterday, and I need to get to the gym a whole lot more. I'll make the changes, but I'm still planning to see the urologist.

Wetters