www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swimming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 am 

zzzzzzz

Last edited by john1050 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 am 

I’ve been incontinent for as long as I can remember, though my condition was largely misunderstood for many years. Punishments at home and constant teasing at school was unbearable for my pre-teen years and nearly drove me over the edge in high school (thoughts of suicide), even though by that point I was diagnosed as having a birth defect. Childhood peers can be vicious!!! I had few friends and built a very strong and nearly impenetrable wall around myself.
When I entered college, well away from home, I had the opportunity for a fresh start! Eventually, I met my husband there and he slowly worked his way into my life and learned my secrets. I then entered a “wild phase” that lasted awhile. I finally found a way to trust someone and be truly happy. Looking back, I think that the wild and crazy period that I enjoyed was in ways regrettable but also a declaration of my freedom from the shame and self hatred that I felt for sooooo many years.
I still have times of depression due to my condition, which will last a few days, but my family is well tuned in and give me a little time and space to work through it. As it turns out, many of the depression drugs make my incontinence worse... I try to be nearly drug free in my life so a little time is all it takes to feel better. Posting here helps a lot too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:29 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
As it turns out, many of the depression drugs make my incontinence worse...

That is my problem as well. However, my depression symptoms are bad enough that I could not live a normal life without them. I do take a high blood pressure drug to counteract that side effect of my AD drugs, but I have tried many for the incontinence and the side effects of those were far worse (to me) than the side effects of diapers. Also had a very painful surgery that only helped for about 6 months. So diapered has been my state for 15 years or so now. In my case, I can still stay dry at night, but daytime is rather wet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 am 

I don't use swim nappies just swim in an isolated river or empty swimming pool in a dark suit. Sunbathing is more tricky.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:12 pm 

I too have used the Sosecure swim diaper. I am only urinary incontinent however I was looking for something that would allow me to be more active out of the pool as well as in. These swim briefs worked great. They may not be meant for urine but they will hold some liquid for a short time. Just enough time to get to the pool side and get things set up or even go to the beach and set up chairs and blankets.
My motivation was my daughter wanted me to go to the water park with her when she was about 5 or 6. I was very fearful about having to wait in lines for our turn to ride the attractions and pee'ing freely around others. The swim diaper gave me about 20-30 minutes to get through the line, we would go on the ride and get wet. As we were getting out of the pool at the end of the ride, I would casually "pop" a leg opening and allow the water(and urine) to drain into the pool. This would give me another 20-30 for the next wait. Worked out perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:20 pm 

Deleted - duplicate post

Last edited by LucOllie on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:21 pm 

I use the Sosecure and I have used disposables. I do like the SOSecure and I pair it with running shorts and a very highwaisted two piece/tankini for easier changing. With Covid public pools haven't been an option and to be honest I have not missed the stress of them. The weather is warming up and time around the water is a mainstay for the family. I feel that I have been able to manage it well but the logistics can be exhausting and the skincare management after takes more consideration. I prefer a disposable swim diaper for long days out as sometimes a bowel release is inevitable. My bowel program is very strictly managed but sometimes over summer vacation our schedule gets me a bit mixed up. Constipation from dehydration or diet sneaks up on me and then I'm in a pickle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:15 pm 

Thanks for bringing this post back with new comments. This was actually something I needed to look into. It's starting to move into hot weather season here in MN. My kids will be bugging me to go to the Waterpark down the road and I haven't really considered how I was going to chaperone the whole thing. My littlest would need someone to go with her into the pool. The chances of keeping my waist out of the water are probably pretty slim. I'm just urinary incontinent. I guess my big issue would be like Rope Wrench mentioned: the in-between pool moments and having an accident.

Skipping the water activities for me has also crossed my mind, which is a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm 

Well I hope you don't skip the water park or any other part of summer. What about a disposable covered by a Speedo under swim trunks? There are solutions. Nothing is perfect or how it used to be but maybe there is a way for you to still enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:31 pm 

LucOllie wrote:
Well I hope you don't skip the water park or any other part of summer. What about a disposable covered by a Speedo under swim trunks? There are solutions. Nothing is perfect or how it used to be but maybe there is a way for you to still enjoy it.

You are talking about a disposable swim diaper? I guess I never really looked at them or if they exist for adults. But this thread reminded me that being around water will involve some new planning.

Yes it's possible to hide something under some baggy trunks. I've gotten a lot less self conscious over the last year of doing this IC thing so I have that part going for me.

Thanks for the encouragement!! :D