www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catheter blockages
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm 

I tend to have quite a bit of sediment but at the moment it's ridiculous and I've had 3 blockages in 2 weeks including needing my catheter changed twice... Once five days apart! Anyone know what causes so much sediment? I drink a lot due to autonomic problems although I reduced it slightly due to it now being colder (3.5-4.5l instead of 4.5l-5l). My urine does smell bad but the nurse said sediment isn't a sign of UTI and here in my part of the UK they don't give antibiotics if you have a catheter unless you have a fever! I'm going to try some uva ursi which I originally bought for my gut. I already take cranberry tablets (I can't drink cranberry juice as it's very high in natural sugars) and thought maybe I should try reducing my calcium dose even though I've been on it a long time without problems and am not on an especially high dose.

Post subject: Re: Catheter blockages
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:01 pm 

Tangerine,
Are you sure its not mucus from your bladder, this can be caused by bladder irritation, it looks like sediment in your urine. This will plug your catheter up, I had some issues with this before myself. I no long have this issue since changing to a different style catheter. Yes drink lots of water and sub some cranberry juice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:08 pm 

Already doing cranberry tablets and can't do juice. I imagine the tablets should have the same affect. I'm not sure but guess it could be mucus. It is big white chunks. When it blocked yesterday there were also some blocking the bag as wide as the bag and an inch or two long.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm 
Could the sediment or the white stuff be from the prostate?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 am 

I don't have a prostate (I'm a transgender man) so it wouldn't be that, no.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 am 

Tangerine,
It sounds like mucus, you need to talk with your health care assistant first but, for me I had to change catheters and drink more water. You said in a earlier post you drink a lot of water. But you may need more water. There is something causing irritation to your bladder, infection, trama or just its getting use to the catheter. Because you are stuck in bed for now, you can ask for a three way catheter so you can easily flush your catheter and bladder if needed. Hang in there it took some time for me to get a routine down as well. But now its no different than getting up in the morning. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:23 am 

What's confusing me is I've used the same catheter brand, type and size for 2.5 years and not had a blockage up until now. It is super sore right now. Sort of like when I first had it fitted. The pain feels really invasive. I wonder if it could possibly be chronic infection. I know they won't treat though. I will try and talk to my gp soon but he is very unsupportive in general and doesn't tend to do anything that's useful. I emailed charter who I get my catheters and supplies from (nhs) and they said I need to talk to a medical professional. I just wanted to find out if they offered an open tip non silicone catheter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm 

It could be you're finally developing a sensitivity to catheters. From what I've found, it eventually happens to most people who use catheters extensively and for a long time. As it did for me.

That sensitivity most certainly causes both pain and irritation (which may in turn be causing the mucus/blockages). IF this is the case, you might be able to get away changing to a different type of catheter (ie, 100% silicone vs latex, change the catheter size, use malecot vs balloon, etc as as few examples). Ultimately though, the only real solution to catheter sensitivity is to stop using them.

For now, I'd say try a different catheter and wait to see if it gets any better. But, also plan for the worse starting right now. Start looking into more permanent solutions (most likely surgery) that don't require catheters. IF it does get worse later on, then you won't be left scrambling for a pain free alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 pm 

I'm limited as I am not well enough to travel to a urologist or have surgery but eventually when well enough for surgery I'd like a supra pubic catheter. My disability /illness means that pad changes require help and are so exhausting that my health declined significantly any time I have to go through that. That's on top of the retention
Also because I drink so much I'd have to do a lot of changes in the day. In the UK we don't seem to have as many options for diaper /nappy style pads either.

Anyway catheter is my only option. Silicone allergy so limited options. The catheter people told me they can't advise and I'd need to talk to nurse or dr
That's frustrating because I don't think they really know what types are available. I was asking about non silicone open ended catheters.

Im doing a bit better than I was in terms of pain but it still gets very sore sometimes. I'm going to try a higher dose of d mannose and different brand. I have been taking uva ursi to try and kill the infection but ended up having a herx reaction from my other chronic gut infection so ended up in agony. Stopping that then!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:24 am 

Yeah, unfortunately I've found whenever you have a medical problem, you better become an expert in it really quick. The reason? Not even your doctor is going to know every option for every problem.

It's also true that nobody knows your body better than you do. Once you figure out all of the various medical terms, and available options, then you can just go to your doctor and just tell them what you need- instead of just blindly asking.

If it's just catheter options for now, you will need to research them on your own. Find out exactly why they are becoming blocked and what you can do, to mitigate that. As you've noticed, not many people are going to try and help make suggestions either.