www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foley Catheters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 pm 

I have been wearing a Foley catheter for over five years now with great success. Does anyone let there Foley drain directly into a diaper?

Post subject: Re: Foley Catheters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:30 pm 

Congratulations on having so much success with your Foley. I hope it continues. My experience with Foleys has been limited to the weeks after urinary surgeries, and then I used a leg bag. You will be a valuable member here for folks who use Foleys but have had less success than you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 pm 

I use a bag. I've had it two years. Any particular reason you let it drain in to a diaper? I would have thought having the tube open like that would increase infection risk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:24 pm 

As you can see from my name I am a retired registered nurse. I have taken care of many people that had Foley catheters. They are designed to be a closed system. My advice is to NOT let it drain in to your diaper. If you do you increase your chance of an infection. A UTI is extremely painful. If you even have to remove your leg bag and replace it then you must maintain a sterile field during the time you have a bag disconnected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:32 am 

Im a Foley user for awhile now, keeping everything sterile is of the up most important. I tried intermittent cauterization and kept getting UTis. I was told to never let the catheter open any long than to change my leg bag or to the bed bag. So far no more infection. I think draining into a diaper would be a bad idea, and if you did a infection would so to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:42 pm 

mlhjr wrote:
Im a Foley user for awhile now, keeping everything sterile is of the up most important. I tried intermittent cauterization and kept getting UTis. I was told to never let the catheter open any long than to change my leg bag or to the bed bag. So far no more infection. I think draining into a diaper would be a bad idea, and if you did a infection would so to follow.

Not true in the least. As I've said, I've done this for over a decade and haven't gotten a single UTI because of it. This is just a lot of misinformation and scare tactics which everyone just assumes is correct (doctors and nurses included). In fact, I just did this yet again for a few days this last week so my body could heal a little from my constantly having to strain to pee. Of course, I still have to keep the catheter clean, and always have to be smart about it. But still, I am proof that doing so quite obviously does not automatically mean you'd get an infection.

And fyi, it's actually the constant inserting and removing an intermittent catheter that comes with the greatest risk of getting an infection. Inserting a sterile folley and leaving it there while your pee constantly cleanses it is going to have the lowest risk- openly draining or into a bag either way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 pm 

Can I ask why though? Diapers are expensive and more hassle compared to a bag you change once a week. I actually found that not having to wear pads is a major upside of having a catheter - less
hassle with changes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 am 

I guess I'm prejudiced here. The only times I've used a Foley have been after surgeries that left me bleeding profusely. The discomfort and embarrassment were intense, and I could not wait until I could resume caring for myself. However, I speak only for myself; if a Foley works for you, wonderful. Use it with my blessing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:58 pm 

tangerine wrote:
Can I ask why though? Diapers are expensive and more hassle compared to a bag you change once a week. I actually found that not having to wear pads is a major upside of having a catheter - less
hassle with changes.

Of course you can ask. I've always hated having a bag strapped to my leg or stomach. In order to keep them from falling down on me I have to have the straps pretty tight. Not enough to cut off circulation, but enough where the straps leave marks for a day after taking them off. Even with using a legging/sock or teeshirt under the bag.

Then there's the added weight when the bag gets even half full, let alone more. It's way more than enough for it to be distracting to me, and outright uncomfortable.

While I don't use pads, the diapers I use will distribute the weight from my pee more evenly, which is often not even noticeable to me unless it's soaked and sagging. Since they are tapped on and worn as a sort of underwear, they are effectively replacing that underwear which I was already used to as well. I've also never minded the extra padding or heat a diaper has, so for me it just makes more sense to use a diaper versus a bag.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:46 pm 

A big part ofmy condition is fatigue and extrame response to any 'exertion' which includes pad Changes so a folley is better for me from that point of view. Btw when I say pad I include what others might call diaper or nappy. In the past I used to refer to them as 'nappy style.pads' for clarification.