www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leg bag question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:56 pm 

Question regarding leg bags and external catheters. Assuming the bag is kept clean can urine be smelled when the bag is full? I don't mean left to sit half a day but just under general use? Is it the same for the vented leg bags? I have urge issues and flood, the end of the catheter tends to collapse and pinch the head of my penis. I assume venting is to alleviate that issue?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Leg bag question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm 
Admin

If you do the regular maintenance on your external system, it should not have any odor when in use. I rinse mine out with vinegar, and let it air dry hanging in the shower, then it is ready to go for the next day. They do sell deodorizers for Ostomy stuff, that works, but vinegar is cheaper and effective. I also change bags about every 7-10 days when I use the system often, which is not that common anymore, but still used when traveling. :) Puffy

Post subject: Re: Leg bag question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:22 pm 

No odor with regular use. I change from night time bag to leg bag in the morning and vice versa. I sanitize the off going bag with hot water and then again with hot water and vinegar. I usually let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Acid in vinegar breaks down urine crystals and inhibits bacterial growth. I mix it up and use bleach and water occasionally. Been a foley user for 2 1/2 years, had 2 UTI's in that period of time. I guess I'm doing something right. Wife is an ER nurse and does the catheterizations for me. Usually only leave them in for 4-5 days at a time, but have had them in as long as 2+ weeks with no problems, other than the aforementioned 2 UTI's. I experience very little pain and usually don't even know when it's in, I don't even feel it.