www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Foley Catheters
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 pm 

tangerine wrote:
A big part of my condition is fatigue and extreme response to any 'exertion' which includes pad Changes so a folley is better for me from that point of view. BTW, when I say pad I include what others might call diaper or nappy. In the past I used to refer to them as 'nappy style.pads' for clarification.

That is VERY understandable. Unfortunately, the refusal to call something what it is has caused many headaches for other in the past- at least for where diapers are concerned. By their very definitions, a pad and a diaper are VERY different. (and by the way- a diaper is a disposable/plastic diaper, a nappy is a cloth/reusable diaper, and don't confuse diaper with pullup either).

They all have different names, and it makes it much easier for everyone if you just call it what it is. No offense, and none taken though. But now you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:14 pm 

I actually think it's up to personal preference what you call it. Some shops in the UK say 'adult nappy', some say 'all in one pad' some say 'slip' with pull ups being a separate category entirely. And in the UK diaper = nappy. It says so on baby packaging for disposable nappies. I just tend to see 'incontinence pads' as the broad category with the various types underneath that. For me it's easier to think of it as a 'nappy style' rather than a nappy since it is not literally the same thing a baby wears, and none of the branding says nappy or diaper. Each to their own.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:12 am 

You are right to a degree, but only up till what someone calls something begins to incorrectly describe that item. Pads and diapers are two very distinctly different items. If you talk to someone about a diaper yet refer to it as a pad then you are instantly failing to communicate effectively enough and will most likely have to go into more detail to correct what you've already said (exactly as you just did).

This begs the question then, why do you call them pads when you already know that isn't what they are? No offense meant, but doing this doesn't help and only leads to confusion.

Roses are not called stink weed for a reason. Wheat flour is not called crushed seed for a better reason (even if it is). Peanuts are not called beans for deadly reasons (even though they really are). And so on. Believe it or not, but Shakespeare was wrong, names and descriptions do change what that item is and they do matter a lot. This obviously isn't as big of an issue with diapers/pads, but I'm sure you can see it still is one none the least.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 am 

Oops, double post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:07 pm 

I'm not the only person who calls them that and I don't quite fancy arguing about it to be honest. Like I said UK shops use different words to you, incontinence nurses also say incontinence pads even when referring to the larger ones. It doesn't say diaper or nappy on the products for adults I have used. There are not that many instances in which I would need to specify the exact type incontinence protection I wear and in those instances I would clarify what type I need. Otherwise it's not really anyone's business past the amount of detail I want to specify. It's fine if other people want to say diaper or nappy, but I also don't think it is some huge problem if other people don't want to use those words/think it is styled like a nappy /diaper rather than actually being a nappy /diaper. I really can't be bothered arguing about it any more. This thread is about catheters anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:44 pm 

You're right, and yes the UK does use odd words that aren't even recognized in their own dictionaries. Any ways, back to the hollow tubes discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:51 pm 

I travel and I wear a Belly-Bag all the time. IN the airport at security, I always have a had time because the bag shows on the scan . In the past, I have taken my foley out, traveled wearing a diaper and putting a new foley in at my destination. I know about keeping everything clean and I'm very carful and take great care but I am concern taking it in and out three- four times in a month. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am 

Joyce,
I use a Foley full time now and getting through any security can be a pain. I use a leg bag and because I cant be scanned do to the electronic implant's I get patted down every time. If you diaper up before a plane ride and put your Foley back in when you get to your location, I wouldn't think that would be a issue. Before using the Foley full time, I use a catheter to drain by bladder more in one day than what you would be doing in a month, But with any change in your procedures, please ask your doctor what he or she think, just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:21 pm 

Thank you MJHY and RETIRED RN for responding, your post were very helpful. I have to travel this month and after talking with my doctor I'm going to remove my foley and wear a diaper for the week and put a new one in when I get home. After doing some research, I ordered bandino diapers and will start wearing them a week before I travel to get use to them. I have not worn a diaper in five years. Thank You again. Any suggestions on wearing a diaper? Joyce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:41 pm 

The diaper page on the ISC website is also a very good resource.

W.