www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:25 am 

Ok, first I don't know if in this fourm there is a thing of TMI. If I have crossed that I'm sorry. I am new to a Foley catheter and hopefully going to be out of it tomorrow. However, I need some help. At night I get multiple night time errections when this happens my penis is dry and the catheter is dry and it pinches the top. I can alleviate this problem temporally by putting water based lube on it and sliding it in and out of my penis so the lube gets inside. This works for me long enough to go back to sleep but 1-2 hrs later it happens again. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how do you fix it? Thanks for your response.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:53 am 

Not TMI for me. I too used to get this all of the time, and wow what a pain. The problem is that you are using a water based lube. The water gets absorbed and dries out the catheter leaving it even more stick than you started out with. Any slight size change and the catheter will grip and pinch.

You need to use something else, and you need to make sure your catheters are as smooth as possible. Red rubber is the worst (they use rubber for tires because they grip so well. Good for tires, not for catheters). Latex can be ok for some, but it too has a texture that will grip. Make sure your catheters are silicone (or at least silicone coated)! It is the smoothest material and will not grip as much.

Next, throw out every gel or water based lube you have (or you will be tempted to keep using them). Even lidocaine gel is no good.

Try to get a prescription for lidocaine "ointment". It is an oil based lidocaine that will last for 4 plus hours. If you can't get that, then I would recommend something called "anal ease". Its only available online, but is over the counter. It's similar to lidocaine ointment, has a numbing effect, and is oil based that is approved for use inside the body.

If you're in a pinch (pun intended), then use some petroleum jelly. Be careful with this though, as after 4 plus hours when the petroleum jelly gets absorbed by the skin it will leave behind a grainy sand like deposit that can be even worse. A quick rinsing of that area will clean it off though.

Other than this, periodically clean the catheter with soapy water. When you're flaccid, pull back your penis some and rub the catheter with the soapy water. Rinse your hand off then rub it with more clean water. This will help get rid if any sticky residue on the catheter, and make that oil based ointment last longer when you reapply it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:56 pm 

I have the issue occasionally at night. I use silicone catheters as I don't tolerate the latex ones. (Have no known allergies to latex) I get a lot of pain with them. I don't even notice that the silicone one is in. I will usually wake up, readjust and I'm back out. It seems to be able to climb the silicone catheter better. I've used a bacitracin type ointment before, though I'm going on two years with a foley now and I'm pretty used to it by now. Good luck and keep us up to date with whatever seems to work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:17 am 

Always good to get a confirmation to my own experiences (and theories). So there we have it, use silicone catheters and ointment, and this will greatly minimize that pinching problem.