www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:11 am 

Am having my suprapubic 10 week change this afternoon. Have been on the antibiotic since Monday so fingers crossed for an infection free change.
Things have been mostly ok the last ten weeks with no symptomatic infections. Have had some bypassing at times so diapers were worn to cope with it but only a few days.
The hole where the tube goes in still gets a bit gunky and a bit sore now and again but nothing too bad.
On the whole I am glad I had the operation now that things have settled down.
They are sticking with a size 16fr catheter. I had read somewhere that sometimes you need to go up a size but there is no talk of that. I suppose you need to maintain a tight fit and if the hole got a bit wider a larger size would be needed.
Will post again if there is anything to report. I know I have been quite on this site for a while but I do log on most days and read the new posts so I know what is going on with you all. I feel that I might be the only one on this site that has an SP catheter which is fine and I have always appreciated the kind comments and words of encouragement that I have had from posts when I have been going through bad times so thanks again.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:30 am 

Good luck Dave,

Let us know how it goes.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:48 am 

Thanks JD. Back now and all went well. Not painful but a bit of blood just where the tube goes in. That should be that for another 10 weeks.
Always amazes me though they put 5 ml into the baloon but again only managed to get less than 2 ml out. Any longer than 10 weeks and the catheter would be in danger of coming out.
If that ever did happen I would have to be quick and get to a hospital as it does not take long for the hole to start to close up.
I hope it never does happen.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:01 pm 

Dave,

Why 10 weeks?

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 pm 

Why 10 weeks. Good question. The catheters are ok for a Max insert time of 12 weeks guarantee. In the UK most have changes at either 8 weeks or 10. I have opted for 10 weeks because of the antibiotics. There had been so much on the news over here about the over use of antibiotics and the danger of this. I just think if I have the change at 10 weeks instead of 8 weeks that is 1 less lot of antibiotics every year. Not a lot I know but I have had so many antibiotics this year alone every little may help. I spent the first 8 weeks of this year on them after spending Christmas in hospital.

Really what I should have the guts to do is have the change without the antibiotics to see if I still get poorly now that the catheter is a suprapubic one and not one up my penis.
I did ask the consultant should I still take the tablets before the new SP cath change and he just said yes why not. Not diffintive I know.
The only thing is I do not have the guts to do it because boy do I feel poorly when I have a UTI.

Thanks for the question hope I have explained it all.

4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 pm 

Glad to hear it went well for you, Dave! I don't know anybody else using a SP catheter. I'm still using foley's for the time being. I thought they were going to be a short term solution but after 13 months, I'm catheterized more often than not. As soon as this thing comes out, like when I go to work as I still refuse to wear it there, I'm immediately miserable.......anxiety goes up because I'm uncomfortable and urinary frequency becomes a hinderance to daily living......next thing I inow it's multiple days without sleeping through the night and the wife is cathing me because she's tired of living with the monster I become when sleep deprived. Anyway......keep us updated!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:49 am 

Yes I know what you mean a catheter is great in the night for a good long sleep. I have to say that in general the cath has been a positive thing for me if I can just keep infection free which so far with the SP I have. Also the set up I have of a flip Flo vave attached to a leg bag worn high gives me a large urine storage capacity with the 500ml in the bag and also whatever my bladder holds. I don't atach to a night bag any more I find the leg bag and my bladder gives enough capacity to get me through the night.

Thanks for your comments

4wheeldave.